How to get where I need to go

Ok pro's,

I use to take a beer bottle with me and spin it to see where I should go and fish. Well I been listening to members on the web site that they will look at the temp. on the map of the big lake before going out. Now what temp am I suppose to want to head out to the spot to fish and how do I get to that spot with my GPS from this map. Now say I want to get at this spot on the map that has a temp of 37.2 where it is at is on that small black spot on the map.

Thanks,

Caznik

m41.gif

OK thats alot of questions. Generally you want to go to the sharpest and most sustained breaks offshore and you would probably want to fish the warmer water side of the break looking at these temps. The readings on the top and left of the map are the coordinates you would want to use on your GPS to determine where to go. If this was a new map and I was heading out of Muskegon I would head out to the 50 line and check temps. Any time the temps drop sharply start fishing. If they don't then set down at the start of the break and fish into it. 37.2 degree water is located at approximately 43 degrees and 7 minutes north and 86 degrees 55 minutes west.

Rich,

The area in the center of the map can be located with the GPS. Per this map the location is 43.550 by 86.550 and about 45 miles from port. But, becareful of maps that have black on them. That is cloud cover and it will not show true temps. The maps in white the best true readings. Blue colored maps are partial cloud cover and because of the satilite thermo imaging, it cannot shoot thru the clouds. I believe that if you made the run to that water, you would be very disapointed.

If I was going to use this map, out of Port Sheldon, I would be looking at the water NNW straight out of Grand Haven on those temp breaks between 45.2 and 53.6. Even that is a gamble due to the cloud cover. Keep checking the temp maps and eventually you will see a clear one which is a lot more trusting.

Mark

OK,

I allready understand about the cloud cover on the map, that was just an easy spot that I wanted someone to help me out on. I also know that there is a coordinates that I have to put on my GPS. Now can you tell me what the true coordinates would be if I wanted to go to that small black spot on the map that has 37.2 water temp. Also do you put the top numbers down first or the left side numbers first on the GPS.

Thanks Caznik

Rich,

Latitude # (43*-45*) are ususally put in first and then the Longitude (86* 87*) for L. Michigan.

The following should get you into a good site that will give you great lat. and long. for GPS. The screen will come up on Saginaw Bay, just zoom out from there to get over to L. Michigan.

http://mapserver.maptech.com/homepage/index.cfm?lat=43.7827128452&lon=-83.8439674386&scale=120000&zoom=50&type=0&icon=0&searchscope=dom&CFID=946063&CFTOKEN=28905893&scriptfile=http://mapserver.maptech.com/homepage/index.cfm&latlontype=DM.MM

No. It only shows the bottom depth contours and such. It still is helpful if you want to find and area with some good structure. The Coastwatch site is probably the best site to get the surface temps off of. The long. and lat. on there should be able to get you close to where you need to go.

Good fishing!