It was a pretty tough fish for us friday evening, we where doing a little scouting for a saturday morning charter. We splashed the boat about 3:30 friday afternoon ran to frying pan Island and set lines trolled past the green can past the lighthouse along the reef over to the humps, back to reef fiddled around a bit out there still nothing, Heard very little radio traffic about people catching fish, It didn' sound like anyone was tearing them up Friday evening one here one there thats it Kings mostly if I as hearing them right, we trolled back into the green can, followed the NET markers out accross the shipping channel circled back around to the reef, stayed in 140 of water this time and started our troll to the dock, just before we line up with the green can a Atlantic came out of the water with our Green Dolphin in it's mouth then the rod went off, by the time my partner got to the rod the fish was gone.. Bummer , reset got almost to the end of frying pan island and the center rigger went, this time a 8 pound king wacked it and was hooked well, into the box it went, that was it for friday evening.

Launched the boat at 7am set up our same troll , this time with 9 rods running instead of 6, 4 boards, 2 dipies, 3 riggers, had our first release at about 8:45, missed, south of the lighthouse we picked up our first laker, off a rigger 30 down with a yellowTail, that was about 9:30, 12 to 16 boats out fishing, not much catching going on, we headed out and fiddled around on the flate just off the light house, nothing, I'm getting a bit desperate no, back to the humps, this time I have a rod set up with a peanut and flasher and buncing the ball off the bottom, not a real smart move in that area, my nerves could only handle about 1/2 hour of that, nothing set that rig at 45 feet and sat back to try to figure things out, that rigger fired about the time I get the net around the 8 pound laker, the port rigger and a starboard board go off then the starboard rigger fires ended up with 3 of those , all lakers. its getting to be about noon now, all the boats are gone we need to end the charter. we point the boat at the light house and start our troll in, almost to the light house and a dipise fires, 4 pound atlantic even with the light house a board go's off, a just legal Laker 22 1/2 inches, then just past the green can the other dipsy fires, 6 pound King all and all we went 7 for 9 with 4 lakers to 8 pounds, 2 kings to 9 pounds, and a 3 or 4 pound atlantic..

there was no rime or reason to what they hit, or what depth they hit at, no spoon or stick bait shined, we had 9 line running and each line had 1 hit. we ran shallow diving bombers, deep diving storm jrs, for plugs, spoons where yellowtail, Black & rasbarry with a white back, Monkey puke, and green dolphin.. thats the best I can do for information right now guys, I thing the hurracain winds 2 days pryor had them all messed up, plus I'm sure the nets that were place begaining of the week didn't help much//..

Thanks for the report John! Nice to hear about the fishing again over there. My first memories of chinook fishing came from detour....and nothing has topped that fishing yet, and probably never will. I swear i remember a 23-28 lb'er every single time i was there. A fish in the high teens to lower twenty's was "just an average fish" seems crazy with the way times are now. I was hoping to get down for the detour X tourney this year but it will have to wait until next year.

keep the reports coming.....hearing the word detour always puts a smile on this face!!!!