1972 Crestliner Norseman outdrive fix/verses value?

borgy

Alright guys I just bought a 1972 Crestliner Norseman 20 foot with cuddy. This boat is almost like new except for the trim does not work. It has a omc outdrive and I was wondering if anyone is framillar with maybe getting this working or offering your advise. I guess one of my questions is that is it worth fixing this outdrive in cost comparison of the boat. Has anyone ever used this model boat for salmon fishing on big water. Like I said this boat is mint always stored indoors and almost looks like new for a 1972 model. I only paid $700 bucks for it and the trailer is also in good shape. Pulled it home 2 hours with no problems. I just cannot seem to find much info on this boat campared to the older starcrafts. Any help or advice would be great. Thanks,Tim

Parts for the old OMCs are getting scarce. Some shops, and bone yards may have parts. Check with Terry (Dirty Dog) he may have a handle on some OMC stuff.:)

A warm welcome to the site Tim. If you get a chance go to the welcome forum and introduce yourself.

!972 is a electric shift are you talking obout the drive going up and down that is the tilt motor and quad gear that does that. I don't know which motor and drive you have but the trim is the front motor mounts that raise and lower the front of the motor. The tilt must be full down all the time or you will ruin the Ball gears. Trim was a option on them many did not have adjustable trim. The four and six cyl engines had a single front motor mount that was either manually adjustable or had a motor driven screw to raise and lower the front of the motor. The V8's mostly had hyd motor mounts and a pump to raise them up and down. I don't have any trim peices left but I thjink I still have a complete tilt motor. There should be 2 large selenoids on the side of the engine block that power the tilt motor most of the tilt motors had a 2 wire plug and got their ground thru the case. With the case grounded powering one wire raised the unit and powering the other wire lowered it. I have a few newer peices so I am not sure which of the parts I have would help you. You may be amazed at what the peices you have that work are worth perhaps enough to convert it to a modern drive.