Wire dipsey rods

I have heard nothing but great reports on the JR rods. The Twillie tip will work in nearly any rod Guide wear will be a issue but not for quite a few fish before it becomes a problem the JR rods have Special eyelets so wear is not a issue with them. The only reason I prefer roller rods is they are smoother and do not add to the drag. I mentioned this in another post but again set your drag in a straight line pull to see what your reel is set at then lift the rod and see how much pressure you can apply between the added leverage of the rod and the additional drag of the eyelets and tip it can be pretty impressive. A common issue with wire rods is most don't realize how hard they are pulling on the fish and can yank to lure right out of the fish. And often setting the reel at 8 or 10 lbs of drag can max out your connections when fighting a fish pulling with the rod.

Thanks Jim, I'm going tot ake that advice on the wire rods, I have two of them now, will I still need to yank the pole a little bit to unset the diver? I'm thinking I'll have to do that..

With wire rods there is no give in the line so a good hard steady pull is all that is needed. Because of the no stretch in the line I can't remember getting a fish on a wire diver that did not trip the diver when it hit. The one thing I know is when I stopped yanking on fish my success rate with both braid and wire divers went way up. The stretch in mono forgives a lot of mistakes that wire will not allow.

Thanks for the info! I thought about the twilli tip, but I think I will go the hardend eye route. I think I will try out the JR's rods, because I want a rod I can use for other applications as well. Kinda the reason I don't want the roller rods. I will have to give some feedback after trying them this year.

What they do is guide the line out smoother which helps prevent kinks. They put a lot of pressure on the tip section of the rod but prevent the line from making a 90 deg bend coming out of the tip eyelet. You learn fast to keep your rod angle a little lower than you might be used to.