Salmon Regs

While preparing for this season

I searched for info on this site as to interpetation of the bag limits,how many rods that can be out vs. fish aready in the boat.Other than the DNR regs is there an article or thread that does or will better explain the regs for the 2009 season in the state of MI.?

Thanks all,

GTR

Nope i don't have any fish pics.

I hope to get some this year,as i now have a small digital that i can carry in my pocket.

Ive always been lazy about the photos-hope to change that,now that i can upload a photo.

Unless were unknowingly doing something illegal in the pic in which case i need to figure out how to remove pics.:o

While preparing for this season

I searched for info on this site as to interpetation of the bag limits,how many rods that can be out vs. fish aready in the boat.Other than the DNR regs is there an article or thread that does or will better explain the regs for the 2009 season in the state of MI.?

Thanks all,

GTR

MI regs are 3 rods per angler 2 baits per rod, and you can fish the full spread till the last fish is in the box. New Salmon rule is 5 salmon per day per angler. The trout rules are unchanged still 3 and 2 for 5 fish per angler limit.

3 rod per angler limit now applies to all MI waters and species.

Thanks Mainiac.

Hate to ask these questions in the welcome center...so if this post needs to move say so.

So what the 09 regs mean is: i can keep up to 5 salmon.coho and/or king.

of the 5 fish limit,no more than 2 can be a trout species.Correct?

Now where i am confused,and i cant find where i read it,is the fishing a full spread until the bag limit is reached.

If there are 3 anglers on the boat.The law says its ok to have 9 rods out.

when the box gets its 13th fish does the rod count need to drop to 6?and then 3 on the 14th as 2 limits are filled?

I would not have even thought about this much as i figured reading the regs was good enough...but ive read of others who thought they understood but still paid fines.I would rather "know" if possible and put the money into boat gas:grin:

Thanks, GTR

Thanks Mainiac.

Hate to ask these questions in the welcome center...so if this post needs to move say so.

So what the 09 regs mean is: i can keep up to 5 salmon.coho and/or king.

of the 5 fish limit,no more than 2 can be a trout species.Correct?

Now where i am confused,and i cant find where i read it,is the fishing a full spread until the bag limit is reached.

If there are 3 anglers on the boat.The law says its ok to have 9 rods out.

when the box gets its 13th fish does the rod count need to drop to 6?and then 3 on the 14th as 2 limits are filled?

I would not have even thought about this much as i figured reading the regs was good enough...but ive read of others who thought they understood but still paid fines.I would rather "know" if possible and put the money into boat gas:grin:

Thanks, GTR

You are still allowed only 5 fish per person. This year, you are allowed to keep 5 salmon(chinook or coho), a mixture of trout, or trout and salmon. You may not have more than 3 trout of the same species.

You can run your full spread of rods until you have your limit. Just because you only need one more fish to fill your limit does not mean you have to cut back on the number of rods you have out.

You can fish you full legal spread till you are done fishing you are allowed 5 trout or salmon ea of which all 5 can be salmon but no more than 3 of any trout species per angler however you can catch 3 Steelhead and 2 lake trout and be legal or any combonation of 3 trout and 2 others. So if there are 3 of you you can run 9 rod with up to 2 lures per rod and catch a total of 15 fish. Those 15 can all be salmon or a mixture of trout and salmon as long as you have no more than 9 trout of the same species which is the 3 per angler limit. Remember fishing rules are for fishing and possesion rules are for what is in the box. Any legal fishing method is legal but you have to stay withen possesion limits for what you keep you can catch and release fish all day long. Provided you do not keep any illegal fish you are fine.

Thanks for the info,what you guys said makes sence in my mind but as i stated earlier i had read the thing about having tomany rods out when the box had someones limit in it.Im glad to know i can keep a full spread out if i choose to,and the only limit is my ability to keep it untangled:grin:Limits have never been a problem before but i hope i can learn to fish better and see if we can limit more often:)

Thanks again

GTR