wire line

I have never used copper wire line before as I have always used mono and lead core so I would like some information. What rods and reels are recommended? Can you use wire line on a downrigger or just for dipseys? How is the wire line spooled onto the reel? Do you use mono to start the spooling and then tie the wire onto the mono?

Any info would be appreciated.

Fishhunter

Copper is supposed to run deeper however some of the new dive curves say not as much as advertised it is big and thick so huge reels are required. Wireline will eat your rod guides so most of us use roller rods I for one run a backer and put on 600ft of wire some guys just spool on 1000ft of wire that is kind of a personal choice. While I use my wireline for other things than just divers I would not hook them to my downriggers.

I have never used copper wire line before as I have always used mono and lead core so I would like some information. What rods and reels are recommended? Can you use wire line on a downrigger or just for dipseys? How is the wire line spooled onto the reel? Do you use mono to start the spooling and then tie the wire onto the mono?

Fishhunter

Copper line and wire lines are two different lines.

I use 30lb wire line on my diver rods. I use roller rods that have a rotating tip, with the wire line. I attached my wire directly to the spool, and wrapped it with electrical tape.

I do not use the copper line, and can not comment on that.

Fishhunter

I run all copper and no lead core now. For a rod you can use most anything as copper is soft and will not damage guides. Diawa heartland planer board rods work great. I have found using a 10 foot ocean surf spinning rod worked the best. Reels depends on what depths you are trying to achieve. 75 foot reaches about the same depth as a half core, 150 feet reaches the same as a full core and 300 feet gets down to 70 to 80 feet about the same as a two core. Maniac is right the dive curves show it as deeper but at 2.6 mph with 300 feet in 80 foot of water i have brought up zebra mussles. Another thing to consider with copper is you don't have rot issues like with leadcore. Lead core DOES rot, some guys will claim it doesn't but it does. Depending on conditions lead core can last from three to five years. Four years ago(which switched me to copper) i had a problem with the lead core breaking by hardly pulling on it. called Gudebrod they said to send it in to them. their verdict is it was rotten and i had only fished with it a few seasons. Copper doesn't rot it will last as long as you don't loose it. Reels if you are looking at okuma reels a convector

35 will hold 300 yds pp 50lb backing and 75 ft 45lb copper.

45 series 300 yds pp 50 lb backing and 150' copper.

55 series 150 yds pp and 300 ft copper.

Another thing to note is copper doesnt hang in the thermal cline causing the rig to fish shallower. Copper is fished just like lead core not off a downrigger. It can be run as a swr very nicely. Attachment from copper to backing is very simple. a spro number 8 swivel is used. tie a palamor with backing to one end. put about inch and a half copper through the eye of the swivel and twist it thight. Another thing about copper differnet manufacture make if differently. the claim is that howies is the heaviest out there. weight achieves depth. I was proven wrong two years ago by the owner of takcle haven in benton harbor. Otpi- tackle is heavier per inch than the howies brand. it is also a little thicker. but it is closer to the dive curve than howies. it is also twisted more which make tying knots with it easier. If you are using shimano tekotas the line guide is wide enough to use an albright knot instead of the swivel. here are a couple picks of the knot

tackle_002_thumb.jpg

tackle_001_thumb.jpg

If you have any other question don't hesitate to ask.

thank you for the input. What brand of rod with rollers is recommended. Is a Diawa line counter reel suitable for using wire line???

I am using Shimano Talora roller rods for my wire rods. A counter with a reel is a must for wire line. Without a reel with a counter, you will not know how many feet of line you have out, and how deep your diver is.

Copper line is entirely different, and you do not need a roller rod or a reel with a counter.

My middle son bought me copper two years ago; I usually run 300' of 30# and put it on a Cabelas DepthMaster DM45 reel that holds 330yds of #30; with backing and leader it just makes it on this reel.

When you run it, it has to be all the way out; otherwise the copper will cut up your guides.

You have to run it like lead core always watching for people who might cut your line.

I use an in-line planer boat that I clamp down on the backing wiith so it won't release.

When I get a fish on, we reel in to the board, take it off then crank all day on the 300' of copper, plus backing and leader.

It was rough fishing up north at Mansitee last August due to north winds for quite a while; copper saved us by catching at least 1/2 of our fish.

I use Silver Streak double orange crush and Moonshine magnum Happy Meal with pretty good success at the end of the copper.