New Invasive Specie Discovered.

New invasive species confirmed in Great Lakes

By Ed Brayton 12/31/08 2:26 PM

A new report in the Journal of Great Lakes Research confirms the finding of a new invasive species, this time an Asian tapeworm, in fish caught in the Great Lakes.

An outbreak of tapeworms in Lake Huron walleye has Michigan officials urging people to avoid eating sushi made with freshwater fish caught in the Great Lakes region.

The warning came as a Canadian researcher reported the first documented case of Asian fish tapeworms in Great Lakes fish.

The article also reports that the tapeworm has been found in fish caught in inland lakes as well. Tapeworms can be killed if the fish is properly cleaned and killed. The Michigan Messenger has previously reported on the problem of invasive species in the Great Lakes.

http://michiganmessenger.com/10977/new-invasive-species-confirmed-in-great-lakes

I think I have recently seen small tape worms in some gills. My fishing buddy thinks it is fat deposits. However, I cut them out and they sure look like worms to me. The only questionable thing is they are in the meat and not in the guts of the fish.????? But from what I understand as long as you cook the fish thoroughly there is nothing to worry about. As far as the many walleye I harvested this summer I can only recall a handful that had any worms in them.