Trollers Q & A.

Fished Huron Ohio this weekend and had a blast. On Friday most of the fish came on the left side of the boat, Sat on the Rt and sunday back on the left. Ran both sides about the same 40-70 back, all reef runners. Wondering if anyone has any idea why this happens or is it just luck. Thanks Randy

Randy.

This phenomena happens a lot to trollers. And the time spent trying to figure out why, at times can be useful. And sometimes others, it is something so miniscule or down right different you'll never see or notice it, but does make a difference in the total catch. Guys like me who just have to analyze everything good or bad about fishing do have some ideas about this.

Firstly, I guess you would have to keep track on which ways you were trolling when this weird pattern manifested itself. Given the wind, wave, and current directions that each can cause, even where the weight is ditributed in your boat, dictates that one side of the boat will almost always act/pull/haul different then the other side will. Thus the pull on the boards (rather In-line or Mast) will always be slightly different from one side to the other. Sometime this subtle difference makes all the difference in the crankbait's action and the fishes response to it. And if and when you turned around and troll the other way, having the same length leads on both sides, that action can be transferred to the opposite side of the boat, and thus duplicate that same exact productive program you had going on the opposite side before you made the turn. Make sense?

There now with that all figured out, I'll go back to figuring out why one lure with the black dot on it's side is better then the one without it. Capt. Dan.

I have noticed this on my boat a few times. Leaves me scratching my head wondering why it seemed that one side caught way more fish than the other?????? Bottom line is, it doesn't matter to me as long as the fish are coming to the boat...