Boat Explosion in South Haven

GLF

SOUTH HAVEN, Mich (NEWSCHANNEL 3) - A boat has exploded, leaving at least one person injured.

It happened shortly before 2:00 p.m. Sunday at the Black River Yacht Club on the 300 block of Kalamazoo Street. You can see in this picture taken by Newschannel 3 viewer Thomas Renner, that many neighboring boats caught fire due to the explosion.

We now know that at least four people were hurt. Authorities are still unsure what sparked the explosion.

Story

SOUTH HAVEN, Mich. (NEWSCHANNEL 3) - Four people are recovering from a boat explosion in South Haven Monday morning.

It happened just before 2:00 Sunday afternoon on the Black River.

The fire quickly spread to several nearby boats, causing tens of thousands of dollars of damage.

Firefighters say a man, woman and child were on the boat when it exploded. Witnesses say they suffered serious burns.

Another man who was standing nearby also got hurt and went to the hospital with injuries.

One witness says the explosion was so strong the roof of the boat flew off and almost hit him. "All I heard was a loud noise and I saw the roof of the boat flying towards me and so I ran this way and something hit me in the back, shoved me towards my boat," said Steve Eberhard.

Several witnesses say the boat's owner was refueling when the explosion happened.

Firefighters aren't saying yet if that is what caused it, but they did say that refueling the boat where it was located is illegal.

Story

Wow!!!!

I've been told that re-fueling your boat can be one of the most dangerous activities involved with boating. Those pictures sure paint a nasty picture. Hope everyone is OK.