Walleye Genetics.

How important is genetics to walleye stocking to you guys, as Muskie fisherman we fight kick and scream for the best possible fish in the best lakes.

John Underhill

John.

Genetics is something I dwelled apon and questioned for a long time when our DNR started re-introducing walleyes back into Saginaw Bay. Over the years they raised and planted walleyes from a few different sources both hear in Michigan and even used Lake Erie walleyes for a plant or two.

I've talked to the professional I know about this. And they have a scientific inkling that genetics do play a part in how these different relocated residents phsically react, forage, live, places where they spawn, when they spawn and their timetables for doing so. Much the same way salmon smolt imprint and are counted on coming back to the same streams they were planted in. But they see this trate as highly superficial and not worth the study or attention as far as the walleye specie goes.

For the last 4 to 5 years we've seen no plants and a great natural reproduction. A variety or reasons and forage base changes brought us to where we are today. But these natural walleyes are now almost 5 generations into becoming genetically established, healthier and stronger survivors IMV. They have adjusted to a new, different and varied forage base, and seem to be doing great. Rather that is in part due to aquired genetics is anybodies guess. But remember, what makes you strong can also destroy you, when genetic habbits force you into danger. Capt. Dan.