Slow Day for us on the Bay

We picked up 6 nice walleye and and some bonus perch all off inline boards B.B. and harnesses. 28-31 FOW. Surface temps were in the mid 70s. We started in 2 footers that quickly built to 3s and 4s, then laid back down when we were about to leave. Drifting was our best bet today. I had a youngster onboard that reeled in most of the fish, and two newbies to inline boards. I spent a lot of time with tangled lines, and not being able to pay attention to the ones that were in. I probably will not fish the bay again until Sept. I hope to make a couple of trips to Manistee in the coming weeks. No Home Runs today just a couple of base hits. I just had to hit it one more time. Gotta Luv the Saginaw Bay.:) Time to start thinking deep on the outer bay.:)

Frank are ya pullin the priority1 over or are ya gonna give us a chance to redeem ourselvs?

Are ya comin over this weekend to fish the tourney?

Hey we will be in manistee from the 28th threw the morning of the 31st maybe we could team up and put a smack down on those salmons.

let me know what ya have planned this could be fun

I'm curious Frank. Does your boat drift straight with the waves like mine because it's heavy in the back, or sideways with them. I'm also assuming you could only run maybe one In-line board per side if drifting straight, and 3 or 4 other long lines off the back drifting. I sure did love the drifting technique in my 18 footer when I first started out, and the whole bite/hook/play scenario. But I've always loved the hands on casting/jigging/drifting techniques better versus the trolling anyways.:eek::D

Randy, I enjoyed every minute of my time with you and Rick. Fishing is fishing, and we all have been on short end of that. I will try to get over to Manistee with 3 other people to share expenses. I sure hope it works out that we can fish next to the Tad Pole. We need to get 4 peoples schedules to jive with 3 decent weather days. We prefer the week days. Thanks again for the hospitality your family showed me, and I hope I can reciprocate in the near future.

Dan, My boat drifts with the stern to the wind, with 2 bags out. I can pull up to 8 in line boards doing it. Most of the time on a drift I'll only run 6 boards, and two rods over the sides because of conditions. I most always keep the engine idling so we can put it in gear to make a quick correction if necessary. The out drive acts as a rudder, and for minor corrections we don't have to put it in gear. A lot of what I run depends on who I have onboard. I'm fussy about everything, including how the crawlers get rigged. A lot of little things can make a BIG difference, but I'm sure you already know that.:)

Thanks for the report Frank. Nice job by the way in some tough conditions. Damn water temp isnt helping either.

Often times when its rough i drift as well. I put my stern to the waves and I keep my kicker running, but in Neutral so that if i need a correction i can make it...same as Frank. I also like to run two bags while drifting because it helps with surges. As far as rod count, i do things the same. Normally theres three of us on the boat, so depending on whats working best i may have all 6 with boards, or if its real ugly out, i may run a couple boards and a BB off the corner on each side.

I cant say i blame you for being particular about how things are run because it makes you a confident angler. And a confident angler is a good angler.....Im the same way. I might run it for a bit, but if it dont go, its gotta GO!...Sounds like we're all set a little in our ways.:lol:...a detriment at times im sure.;)