Au Gres Tourny 7/26

Whoa, it's been too long since I've been out chasing walleye. Entered the tourny up in Au Gres for Saturday. Pre - Fished Friday with a good friend and my father. Went south to my honey hole and plugged away for a while. Ended up with eight. Saw Priority 1 out on the water, Good to see ya Frank... Dad had a ball reeling in a majority of our fish on Friday, it was quick action once we got out around 2 PM, and then it died around 4:30 for us.

98 boats signed up for the tournament. We thought we should try to make the shotgun start, not fun. We weren't even to the lighthouse when the flare went off, looked behind me and here comes 10 boats hauling @$$, so I hit it. Almost got swamped anyways. Made it down to our spot, rough ride down there. Turned the boat around and set the spread. Wasn't long until we were banging the fish. We had 13, but nothing of size, so I threw up the hailmary and went in shallow, 12fow. Once we got in there, the wind whipped up more than it already was, whitecaps as far a the eye could see. Came up empty in the shallow water. So we weighed our fish on the boat and tagged our 5 for weigh in. Got to the dock and 13# was in the lead, we had 9.22, like I said nothing big, but with 13 in the lead I thought we may stand a chance. Nope, 19# took the tourny, and we ended up in 32nd place out of 98 boats. Talked with quite a few people, a lot said they went north. And a lot of them didn't catch numbers but did catch some weight. My strategy of catching enough to weigh down south, and hopefully picking up a big one didn't pay off, but hind sight is 20/20. Still had a great time in the tournament, it was very rough saturday afternoon and I believe this rough water played a part in only catching 13, that's my story and I'm sticking with it. A lot of people only caught a few, and some had none at all.

My best presentation this year has been leadcore. I set 3 leadcore lines on the starboard of the boat, and this is where 80% of our action was. Tried tot's, jerks, harnesses, jet divers on the port side with limited success, but leadcore 3,4,&5 color was the ticket. Mi Stinger's chicken wing and copper confussion was the best lures of the day hands down. I have enough rods, so I am thinking of rigging 3 more leadcore lines. Didn't make it out on Sunday, had hopes of going but I knew it was going to be rough, and didn't want to get beat up for a 3rd day in row.

I did check out my radio, and everything is fine, except the microphone. I need to snip it and re solder it together. There is a short in the cord right at the connection into the radio, I have to wiggle it to transmit a good signal, now I need to find some time. Good Luck....

We had a good time Jason, too bad I couldn't pick up one more fish to finish in the money. I went north, started at the bell off Whitestone Point picked up one right away on a purple and yellow Bass Pro Reef Runner knock off with a two ounce snap weight 25/75 in 45 fow, made another pass picked up another in the same area. Tried it one more with nothing decide to go to Alabaster to try some old way points and troll back to Whitestone picked up a 3.5 lb figured we needed at least two more fish so we go back to Whitestone and fish inside the bell and picked one more at 1:30 decide we better head in. Final weight was 12.06 for four fish 15th place had a weight of 12.08. We ended up catching two fish on reef runners and two on fire tiger harnesses. It was rough and it was a long ride back in but we had a good time we just needed one more kicker fish. Hey, Frank I saw you a couple of times once on Thursday morning I was waiting at H&H for my nephew, I was the one with the Trophy and the red GMC.