I have been off of work for two weeks to help my contractor build a garage for me. I took Friday and Saturday to head north to Manistee for some Salmon fishing. The fishing was very good the catching was very SLOW!. We drove up on Friday morning and was on the water by with lines set by noon. We fished til 5:00pm with only one small salmon to show for it. That came on a Luddington Special on a half core. We also had another hit on a Dipsey Diver but it didn't stay long. That came on an old beatup alwife pattern. Saturday we got on the water around 6:00am and fished til 01:00pm no hits. We came back later that evening 5:00pm but the storms kept us off of the water.

The reports from others at the launch was SLOW also. :confused:

It may be a touch early for Manistee. Manistee is my favorite Lake MI port. I seldom fish it in the afternoon. I usually hit it @ 5 AM and again @ 7PM. Well at least you made it out. Better luck next time. How were the nets? The nets never became a issue for me, except when I heard they were missing a few of them.:angry2:

Frank, There were several net sets to the south of the port. I had a list of the nets I kept referancing. However I did find a net out in 305 fow that was not on my list. Anymore you always have to keep your eyes open for them.

As far as the fishing, sometimes you fish when you can. The weather did not cooperate with us this weekend.

I am hoping to his Lake Erie on Saturday.

Currently there are 3 nets a couple miles south of port. Check out www.fishmanistee.com for the latest locations We try to keep this as up to date as possible. Manistee is at 15.2 North so this will give you an idea of where the nets are. The only ones you really have to worry about are at 13.8, 13.2 and 12.8. The bouys you are seeing in deep water over 300' are chub nets. These nets are only marked with one bouy and as long as you dont' catch the rope which I did last week there is no other hazard to navigation as the nets are on the bottom. The trap nets are not properly marked at this time and we have been trying to get them marked all year. My understanding is that they have had several tickets written but don't seem to care. The most important thing you can do to help this problem long term is to report any problem with a net to the RAP hotline at 800-292-7800. This is where they want phone calls to go and when you call a record is made of the incident. Try to get the GPS coordinates of the problem area. If you want to know anything about nets PM me and I will be happy to answer it.

Thanks Capt Craig

The net I saw in 305 fow was marked with a staff and flag at one end and a white buoy on the other end. I thought it looked similar to a trap net. I have the coordinates on my graph in my boat. I will be at my boat tomorrow and will get those coordinates. Thanks

TT