North of Linwood

Well, made it back onto the ice yesterday. 6 of us in the morning. Arrived at the launch site to see very slushy conditions 1/4 mile out. Watched a few cross, and then we went for it. No Problem with the sled, but did see some people on quads having difficulty.

Made our way out to the Black Hole, and it was just that. Void of many fish. Seen some on the lowrance, and auqua view, and from what we saw they were not in the mood for eating. Fished 20.8fow had fish below us for a while, and then they disapeared. Hopped around a little bit looking for more fish, but to no avail. The fish we did find were not active, I tried everything to get them to go but nothing. So is fishing. Sometimes you win, sometimes you just have a few beers and relax.

Checked a few other areas, looking for something that would hold fish, and didn't find much. Checked in as shallow as 17fow, all the way out to 24fow. From what I heard from others, it was just not a good day for fishing. It was a nice day to be out though.

As far as the ice goes: It was crappy near shore. Someone speculated that it was from all of the vehicles parked on the ice putting pressure and water coming up and making it slushy in the 1/4 mile area. Once you get past that spot it was smooth sailing. Just a word of WARNING, there was another crack 3.5-4 miles out, it was probably 25-30 foot wide. There were no signs of anyone trying to cross this spot, and for good reason I am sure. You could see this crack as far south as you could see and the same for the north. It was easy to spot, but with any snow it would be difficult, so be careful out there. Other than the 2 spots I have mentioned the ice looked real good. I would say easily 7" everywhere we were. Maybe more, but I like to estimate on the low end of things.

If anyone found my spud yesterday let me know. That sucked. I think it may have bounced out of the trailer and sunk into a drift. I looked for it and could not find it.

Good Luck....

Be Safe....

J.W.

no I am not in the shiver on the river. As far as I can tell, I think ice fishing may receive a fatal blow here across the next 15 days. Warm temps, rain, it isn't going to be pretty out there. I think the ice out there will hold up, I just think that these slushy areas near shore are going to get worse as time goes on. I will be surprised if I can make it out fishing one more weekend. Hopefully it holds up for this upcoming weekend, as I know a few from the NW are coming over to fish it all weekend. If it does hold up I will make it out one last time in search of some pigs.

Be Safe...

Great reports Wheeler. Hope you don't mind but I copied and posted your last 2 on my fishing board. Always nice to get some truthful ice reports that gives guys a real sense of expected success and the conditions they face before they spend the time and money to make a trip out. The bad part for heading out blind of course are the chances the out of towners take when they drive for long distances and feel they have to at least try to get out. Those are the victims of those unfortunate accidents in most cases. :(

W.E., that is what the info I put on here is for. To give people an idea of conditions. If it helps 1 person, that is good. The bay has really been tough fishing for me all winter. I just can't wait for ice out, then I will be covering a lot more water with the boat.

Well it isn't looking any better out there. Have seen the satellite photo and the central part of the bay has broken up. Not too mention that there are several pockets of open water scattered around the bay. If it were dark and you were traveling the bay these open pockets of water could be catastrophic, they are hard to see. This past weekends winds did a real # on the ice. Now for the worse part, with these cold temps things will refreeze, and with any snow on top these newly frozen areas will blend in with the rest of the landscape. So this is a warning to be safe out there. Take a buddy, use your spud, and don't be stupid, no fish is worth that kind of risk.

I am going to stick to the river for the time being. I know that the river isn't in great shape at this point either. But the water level has dropped a foot in the last 24 hours, which hopefully is slowing the current, which would help to form more good ice on the river safe for fishing. Will not be out til the weekend. With the last 2 days of near 0* and cold temps the rest of the week the river should shape up for the weekend.

Good Luck & Be Safe....