Marine Fuel Pumps

I was getting a little fluid in the sight tube of my 140 Mercruisers Carter fuel pump. To replace the pump, the least expensive place I found was AfterMarket Discount Marine, and the price was $80 plus S&H. So It was going to set me back about $90. I found a place on line that sells rebuild kits for many older rebuildable fuel pumps. I had about 1/2 hr into taking the pump apart and rebuilding it. The fluid in the sight tube was oil due to a worn out seal. This sight tube can also collect gasoline due to a bad diaphram. The kit cost $30 plus $12 S&H. I was preparing to pay the $90, but the money saved will help pay for some fishing expenses. Here is the link in case anyone needs to rebuild a fuel pump.:) It's not that difficult. Of course mine was a mechanical fuel pump.

One more point, it's difficult to find any fuel without alcohol in it. Most of the older marine fuel systems are NOT compatible with alcohol. The new pumps, and pump kits are impervious to alcohol. You should also examine your rubber fuel line and replace it with a new C.G. approved one.

http://www.then-now.com/The_Cellar/cellar.htm