Whats To Rough

GLF

This is an interesting question and will get a lot of different perspectives depending on the person and the boat. We are known for fishing a lot in big waves when others stay at the dock and go to breakfast. We get referred to as "big water fishermen".

First, it depends on what kind and type of boat you have. The bridge boats and other non-big water boats will likely stay at the dock more often than the low-profile boats. We have a 31' Tiara Open, which I personally believe is the best big water fishing boat on the Great Lakes, even better than the bigger ones. Second, you take a look at who is going to be going fishing with you. Kids, older people, and people who get sick easily, usually are a huge hint to not leave the dock. We encourage all people to take motion sickness preparations in case it is rough. Lastly, you listen to the VHF radio and see if it is "supposed" to increase or decrease as the day goes on.

Overall, we usually always leave when it is 3-5 foot waves. Bigger than that, we begin to look at the crew and see what their feelings about the matter is. Usually around 20-30 knots and 7-10 foot waves in the morning when we arrive to the boat, we do not leave the dock no matter what. If it is slightly less than that, we will probably go and if it builds while we are out there we sometimes come in, if someone is dying, but mostly never come in until the regular charter duration is over. A few times a month, we end up fishing in some 7-10 foot waves and sometimes even bigger.

We usually leave the dock a lot more than many other boats. Many times, when it is super rough and a Northwest wind, the fishing is the best. Big Kings always tend to bite better in big, Northwest waves. But, when is it super wild and nasty, we definitely stay at the dock.

So that is my perspective and input, from a big water fishermen. The majority of people disagree and say to stay at the dock when the waves are smaller, 3-5 foot waves, and then we leave and go fishing.

Thanks for the answer John. I have been out on a 31' Tiara. I have to agree with you on this. It is one of the best fishing boats on the big lake.

Do your charters ever bawk when you say 4 to 6 footers....lets go.

HAHAHAHAHA. Sometimes it is we will book for another date. Sometimes it is well we are all here and we never get everyone together, let's go. Sometimes it is I don't want to get sick though and the buddy tells him oh well, so sad for you, haha. Sometimes it is we got the day off work we are going no matter what. Lastly, sometimes we tell them we don't want to go because we are sick of fishing big water everyday and need a day off. Sometimes we get the response that they want to go anyways.

We get all kinds of responses. It is a very interesting occupation. You meet all kinds of people with all sorts of different motives. Some guys don't like to go when it is calm either, they say it is too boring then. There are all kinds of people who book charters with all sorts of different ideas and domains.

• 1 month later...

The direction of the wind is the determining factor for me when it comes to wind. We will fish 4-6's out of the North-West-South, but no more than 3-5's

out of the East. That would be a real strong wind, and Sporty is like a big ol kite then.

It never fails that I will get some who want to fish when it's not safe and are disappointed when I refuse to take them out, and also some who are reluctant to go out in 2-4 footers when I say the trip is still on and that no refund or reschedule will be issued for that day.

I try to just juggle it all between safety, fishability, comfort, and customers desires to make it all work.

If we have an east wind & the waves are 4' & building I'll stay dockside especially if they're new customers. I tell them I make the decision if it's fishable, not them. I've had it get lumpy once we were out & hung on til the end of the charter. One guy got off the boat, ran onto the parking lot & kissed the pavement. They never came back. I look at downrigger fishing as controlled depth fishing. Can't do it if one minute your 6' up then the next 6' down.