Muskegon 9/22 Afternoon

Well I did not make it out last weekend, and I will not be able to get out for a couple of more weeks. After seeing the forecast, I was in no hurray to get out this morning.

On my way up to the boat, I called Brek(Redeye) and asked if he would like to go. Brek and his fishing partner Roy, met me at the boat and we left the dock around 10:45.

We were greeted by 2-4' waves when we hit the pier heads. It had laid down a lot since I checked the webcam before I left the house. We ran out to 130FOW, pinted the bow on a NW troll into the waves, and started setting lines. While we were setting lines, this 37' cruiser we passed on the way out, pulled lines and ran out and set up by us.

It was not long after we had lines set and we had our first meeting with the 37' turning out and pushing us off our NW troll. How is it, you and another boat are the only ones in 130FOW, and you have to steer out of the way of the other boat? This would be the first of several run ins with this boat.

We turned the boat towards the West and swung around to a South troll to get away from this other boat. After a short ways, we turned to the West in search of our first fish. We did not get nothing going on the West troll, and made it out to 170FOW, so we spun the boat around to an East troll.

Around 130FOW, we picked up our first fish, on a Stinger Stingray Craigs x-mas on a 2 color. This was a beautiful steelhead shaped like a bullet, that measured 32". Guess what.....that same 37' boat shows up beside us again and starts crowding us. We had just got the line reset when a rigger went. The rigger was set at 95' and the lake trout hit fixed slider which was a Stinger Stingray Mongoose C.F. spoon.

We reset the line and swung the boat to the South to turn around because of the 37' boat to the North. As we turned to the South, the 37'er turned to the North to turn around. We were running a full spread with 3 boards on each side and the 37' was only running 4 riggers. Here is where it gets good. We finally turn around and try to get back on our path we trolled in on. The 37' had turned faster than us and was on a West troll on our path. He was about 3 boat lengths in us when he decided to turn to the South right in front of us. Yep....he came right across our bow, and I was not going to change course nor speed. Lucky for him he did not have any core out.

We continued West, and once we hit around 130FOW, a full core goes. Guess whos up next? My 6 year old told me last night he wanted to go fishing today. Ever see a 6 year old real in a full core? To make it worse, I had let an extra 75' of backing out before I attached the board. All said and done, there was 450' on the line counter. :eek: Well for the most part, he reeled in the fish all by himself! Dad was proud! He was not ready to reel in another one after that one. This was a 3 year old king, and she came on a Stinger Magnum Glow Dolphin(Blue Dolphin)

From here I do not remember the directions nor depths. We picked up another lake trout on a Stinger Stingray metallic frog, on a fixed slide on a rigger set at 95'.

I do now what came after this one. The next rod to go was the other full core with a Stinger Magnum NBK. After Roy reeled this one in part of the way, my youngest(3 yr old) wanted to reel in a fish. He got the fish up to the back of the boat with some help, and after a poor net job by me :eek: The small king swam away. I had the fish in the net, and the hook wrapped in the netting. The fish flopped, came unhooked, and out the net he went.

This made us 4 for 5.

We started pulling lines around 3:30pm. I usually pop a rigger rod, and set it back in the holder, before I reel it in. I had just popped the last rigger rod, and set it back in the holder. I had picked up to reel it in, and noticed something was on. This ended up being another lake trout on a Stinger Magnum Glow Dolphin(Blue Dolphin). I am not sure if the laker was on already when I popped the rigger, or if he hit after I put the rod in the rod holder.

All said and done, we ended up 5 for 6. 1 king, 3 lake trout, and one nice steelhead. 110-140FOW on an East or West troll is where we got our fish.

The lake had laid down to 1-2' waves with an occasional 3'er. It was a nice day on the lake!

Mike, thanks a bunch for inviting us to go this morning. It was a great fishing trip and also learned some new ways of rigging that should help me in the future. It was great seeing Hunter reel in that King on the full core. He did a great job for being just 6 years old!!

Thanks Again,

Brek:grin: