Planer board questions

Here is a newbie question.

What size and make inline planer board do you run?

Why that particular one?

What type of release are you using on your inline planer boards?

Why that particular release?

What lead lengths and weights are you running off of the planers?

I am trying to improve my planer handling.

Thanks in advance for all of your help!!

--Ron

I use Church walleye boards. Those are the boards I was introduced to.

I tightend the release down on them so they do not release. When fighting a fish, the board is brought up to the boat and pulled from the line. Then its nothing but the fish and you.

Lead lengths will vary. Generally 50-100' behind the board will do. When running lead core, the baits will be further behind the board then that. Most people use an assortment of lead core on with their boards. ie....2 core, 3 core, 5 core , 8 core , or full core.

Lots of people run 3 boards off each side of the boat. When running multiple boards per side, you will want to have your shortest lead on the outside and work in to the longest. ie...mono or 2 core on outside, 5 core(half core) in the middle, and full core closest to the boat. When running this way you can drop an outside line back in without having to pull one of the inner lines.

Note: When running lead core lines with boards, do not attach the board to the lead core line. Attach your board to the backing after the lead core is let out.

There is a weight on the bottom of the Church walleye boards that is adjustable. You should not have to adjust it when running mono or a half core, but you may want to adjust it when running a full core.

For spring & steelhead fishing I like the Willie board w/ an offshore release.

I like the ability of the board to release easily so you can for the most part just fight the fish. (plus i like the rattles in the planner board as an attractor)

For lead core 3, 5, 8, 10, and 15 color I like the church walleye boards they are quite a bit heavier than the willie board and are able to work well w/ lead core. I use the standard release on the board and also clamp it so the board will not release when a fish hits.

Lead lengths: Outside boards usually 100 - 150 ft

Inside boards usually 60 - 85 ft

Lead core: Always the whole core in the water than it veries where I'll

attach the board.

On the willie board rods I use a bead from a craft store on the line in front of an inline ball bearing swivel and then 8 or so feet of 17 lb flourocarbon to the snap swivel. When the board releases from the line it slides down to the craft bead w/o interfering w/ the fish. Works great!