Smoke Pigs Leg

caznik

DSCF3200.JPG

Things you need to smoke a pigs leg- 1 pigs leg that has the bone, injector to inject the brine, sure cure for the brine, a sharp knife to trim off the fat off the leg, brown surgur, internal temp guage, and honey.

1- Trim all fat off your pigs leg and mix up your brine. Put 1 gallon of water to one package of sure cure.

2- Take your injector and start injecting your pigs leg with your brine. Do it alot to get in the meat really good.

3- Take your pigs leg and put it into a clean bucket with your brine. Fill the bucket up the rest of the way so your pigs leg will be covered. Then put it in your fridge for 4-5 days.

4- Take your pigs leg out of the bucket and put it on the counter to dry off.

5- Mix up your flavoring with 1 cup of brown surgur and 1 cup of honey. Soon as the pigs leg get dried off some than take your flavoring and wipe it all over your pigs leg.

6- Drill a hole in the bone of the leg and hang it in your smoker.

7- Start the smoker up and set at 170deg. Use hickory chips for the smoke and stick your internal temp gauge in your pigs leg. Deep into the meat where it is most meaty.

8- Smoke your pigs leg for 6 hours and then coat it again with your flavoring.(Make sure your water pan is allways full)

9- After you get your flavoring on it again. Smoke for another 6 hours. You may have to turn up the heat a bit if its not done at 12 hours. Otherwise you will be like I was and stayed up till 4am. My pigs leg took me 16 hour before the internal temp reached the 160deg mark.

10- Just make sure your water pan is allways full and the pigs leg reaches the internal temp of 160deg. After I smoked it, I put it into the fridge and left it in over night. Just today I cut off a piece and it was very good. Here is a web site where you can get your cure at. http://www.butcher-packer.com/pages-main/category-12/curing-salt.html?zenid=6e8d4ec20d6b4a4568b331e72a93ad37

You will have to give it a try someday,

Caznik