Niagara River Regulations Q???

Hi there. I'm new here and glad to join the forum. I'm an avid muskie hunter who recently has gained an interest in the steelhead, laker and brown trout fishing on the Lower Niagara. I'm heading up there on Thursday and Friday to try my luck on my own vessel, since I already went out with a guide a few weeks ago and hopefully learned some tricks.

Here is my main concern...I will be purchasing a N.Y. license. I heard that there is a law that prohibits fishing the Canadian side. Is this a fact? If so, how do you know where the line is? Or are you simply supposed to stay on the American side to fish?

Also, I wanted to fish the Bar by the green bouy at the mouth of the river where it enters the Lake Ontario. Am I permitted to fish there with the NY license? I'm just a little concerned about these regulations and want to be sure not to break any laws.

Finally, any suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated!!! I'm stocked up on kwikfish K-9s, 3 ways, sinkers and red #6 bait hooks and all of my equipment is ready to go....I hope we have a good couple of days!

Thanks Guys,

Paul F.

I have only made it as far East as Lake Erie. You are allowed to fish in Canadian waters. However, you have to have a Canadian fishing license. Some of the tackle shops in the U.S. sell Canadian licenses. When fishing Canadian waters you have to follow Canadian fishing rules. Make sure you know them if you are planning on fishing Canadian waters.

It is hard to tell where the dividing line between the U.S. and Canada is. It is an imaginary line, and the only real way to tell if you are in Canadian waters is by knowing the GPS cordinates of the line and having a GPS unit. The GPS cordinates can be found on a map.

I am not familiar with the green buoy or the Niagra river.

There are some great threads that cover techniques and varies baits that are working in Lake Michigan. These same techniques should work there. Alot of anglers are using inline planer boards to get the baits off to the side of the boat.

Most of the fishing reports also have the baits that have been working in them.

Let us know how your trip went, or if you have any more questions.

fisher501.. I have looked into this question using the canadian coast guard and fisherys and oceans canada.

The Niagara river is divided into U.S. and Canadian territory.

If you are fishin this with a state fishing license you must stay on the U.S. side.

To fish the entire Niagara river you will need an Ontario fishing license.

Also you cannot land or dock your boat on the Canadian side without reporting to Canada Customs.

You must also follow Canadian coast guard regulations for your boat. I posted some info here earlier http://www.greatlakesfisherman.com/forums/showthread.php?t=299 .

If you need some more info,let me know and I will find out what I can for you.