lead core line

I read a report on the michigan sportsmen site a guy caught two steelhead off of planer boards with two color core out. I'm guessing this is just how much lead core line he ran behind the board? How long is two colors and how deep would that run behind the board? I think he ran the lead core on the board because he was using a spoon instead of a body bait to help it get down.

With leadcore you run all of it out. 2 colors of leadcore is 20 yards, or 10 yards a color. 2 colors will get you down about 10 feet. The 2 colors of core probably has a 50 ft mono leader and a mono or braid backer. In addition to the 2 colors of core he probably ran out another 50 ft or more of backer. It's NOT a good idea to run two colors out on a 10 color setup. The releases and rod tip will tear up the leadcore.:)

As a rule of thumb, you will get 4' to 5' of depth per color. This will also change based on what you have on for a bait, and what the boat speed is. If you have a spin doctor and fly combo on, you will not get the 5' per color.

There is a guide book called the Precision Trollers Guide. It has all of the different depths that are achieved with lead core, divers, slide divers, etc, etc, etc......

When I run two color core's. I let out 90' of mono, then my 2 color core whitch is 10 yards per color, then I let out 55' of more mono and set your board up. I like to run either stick baits or spoons on this set up if I was trying to catch steelheads or browns. Orange colors are my best fishing for steelheads.

Cazzzz