"Mid Teen" Salmon in Saugatuck

6/17/2007

Fishing had been slow early in the week (2 to 4 fish/boat), however it picked up toward the end of the week with 10 fish caught on Saturday. Once again there were two areas that that held fish, 200 foot of water and 70 to 100 foot of water. Saturday we fished 70 to 85 foot of water caught some very nice salmon in the mid teens and broke off two salmon that would have been in the high teens.

The most productive technique was copper line and lead core. We ran 5 colors of lead core, 100, 200 and 300 foot of copper line. The best lures we had on these were X-Mass Reverse and the NBK in the Stinger and Sting Ray versions. On the Dipsy Divers we ran Blue Bubble flasher and Rapture Oceana Trolling flies and and silver green flashers and green hypnotist Rapture Flies. The Downriggers produced a few fish with blue dolphins and blue green dolphin lures, however this was not very productive with most of the fish being caught away from the boat.

We still have not found any large schools of bait, however the fish where full of adult alewife (so there are some we did not see). I think that if the lake starts to stratify temperature wise, we should find the bait and the salmon will follow. For more information feel free to contact me toll free 888-253-8372 or email me at [email protected].