Sturgeon Fishing

Billy V

I didn't take any of the fillets as I didn't have a way to get them back home. The guide we fished with said that the fillets had a consistency similar to a Swordfish with a taste like a Halibut. I would've liked to have tasted one. Next time....

Sure was a fun way to cure my fishing itch!

Its such a good time, well was in the past anyway....

A long, long, time ago (about 21 yearsish) I used to go with some friends from down the street...

Lake St. Clair, we'd go at night and all I can really remember is gopping about a dozen worms on hooks and fishing in 80-120 ft holes in the lake and sit there telling stories until the bells went off on the rather stout fishing poles that reminded me of phone poles.

Once you pulled them up from these holes they would stay on top of the water for a while after releasing them and actually do tail dances on the water (fish looking straight up at the moon, keeping themselves up with their tails) Coolest thing you'll ever see especially if the moon was out lighting up the lake.

At the time (and looks like its still the same) you could only keep one per year.... We caught 3 keepers 1 night and didn't keep a 1.

At one time all three were tail dancing!

That brought back memories seeing those, Thanks Billy V!

T

Its such a good time, well was in the past anyway....

A long, long, time ago (about 21 yearsish) I used to go with some friends from down the street...

Lake St. Clair, we'd go at night and all I can really remember is gopping about a dozen worms on hooks and fishing in 80-120 ft holes in the lake and sit there telling stories until the bells went off on the rather stout fishing poles that reminded me of phone poles.

Once you pulled them up from these holes they would stay on top of the water for a while after releasing them and actually do tail dances on the water (fish looking straight up at the moon, keeping themselves up with their tails) Coolest thing you'll ever see especially if the moon was out lighting up the lake.

At the time (and looks like its still the same) you could only keep one per year.... We caught 3 keepers 1 night and didn't keep a 1.

At one time all three were tail dancing!

That brought back memories seeing those, Thanks Billy V!

T

You probably fished the North Channel of the SCR. The lake at its deepest point is only 22ft. There is a 85 ft hole in the North Channel tho.

I do run sturgeon charters in the SCR. Average fish I would say is about 45"+ with 50-60" fairly common. I saw one next to the boat while jigging for walleye that was every bit 75".