7/7/17, Saginaw Bay, Au Gres, Fishing Report

7/7/17, Saginaw Bay, Au Gres, Fishing Report

With a bunch of severe storms raging though the area last night and early this morning and a rather stiff wind greeting us as we left the Au Gres River, I was debating on where to fish.  The forecast was calling for lighter winds than reality, and it was also calling for it to really lay down to calm conditions as the morning went on, so I decided to make the run out to where we fished yesterday even though the winds were not great for that spot.  I set up for our first trolling pass with three foot waves pushing us, but I set up about one mile upwind from where we did extremely well yesterday.  We started out catching some walleyes there, but eventually when we got to where we caught 24 walleyes in 1.5 hours yesterday, the bite petered out.  The wind had just shifted abruptly though from the southwest to the west, which can slow a walleye bite considerably.  We then made a short run to another area and set up for our second pass with the wind significantly lighter.  We started hammering them pretty steady right away there and had 20 walleyes and some nice perch in the box in short order.  Then we pulled lines, ran further back up wind, which had switched back to the southwest again, and really got into a great bite taking some bigger walleyes there for good measure.  My Michigan made clients today from Stanton, Greenville and Morley all caught their limits of walleyes today and by the time we were heading back in the wind had died down to a mild chop and it was a very pleasant ride back to Au Gres.  We ran mostly spinner/crawler rigs with bottom bouncers, but I did run a Hot N' Tot for a short period at the end of the trip after a big catfish broke off a harness.  We did hook up with one walleye right away on the Tot, but lost it on the way to the boat.  Our best trolling speed today was 1.6 to 1.7 mph.  Lure color did not seem to make any difference.  It was certainly another great day on the Bay today indeed.

Capt. Mike Veine

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2