Port Sheldon 8/5 Morning to Mid Afternoon

Decided to play hooky today to go fishing. Started setting lines at 7:00 and fished till 3:00. Ended the day 2 for 4. Meat seamed to be the flavor of the day.

1. Decent enough Coho a little after 10:00, first of the year. SE troll in 170 FOW, 2.5 SOG, Braid Dipsy, 2 setting, 200' out. Took on white and black meat rig behind an 11" white SD.

2. Same Dipsy same settings took another hit about 20 minutes later but it shook off before I could start reeling. SW troll in 165 FOW, SOG 2.6.

3. About 1:00 downrigger went off with a very acrobatic Steely. Think it spent more time in the air than the water. South troll in 160 FOW, 2.4 SOG, 75' down blue/green glo JPlug on it's own.

4. Very shortly after number 3, while trying to untangle the JPlug hooks from the net, the other rigger started yelling. No matter how much I reeled and pulled it just kept taking line out. Ended up loosing that battle but at least I kept my gear this time. South troll in 160 FOW, 2.4 sog, 75' down, green UV meat rig. One of these days I'll remember to back off the throttle when I hook into the big stuff.

On a side note, is it just me or was the water weird today? Throttle untouched I was running 3.5 mph into the wind and waves and 1.9 with the wind and waves. I'm used to that being the other way around. It made it very hard to judge my ball speed.