8/3/15, Saginaw Bay, Au Gres, Fishing Report

After a blow-day yesterday with wicked winds between the multiple severe storms (I saw 1" hail balls) the walleyes were scattered today and the bite was tough. The weather today was also worse than predicted with gusty winds all day and we had to curtail the trip due to multiple squalls in the area. My clients though from Atlanta, MI still managed to good catch coming up only two fish short of their walleye limits. We fished in four different areas this morning catching walleyes in all spots, but never really finding a "hot spot" where we could catch fish steadily. We fished in waters from 14 to 30 feet deep north or Big Charity Island and could only get bites when pulling the lures closely past the fish as they laid tight to the bottom. That area is home to zillions of round gobies though, so putting night crawlers near the bottom results in a lot of stolen baits, so I tried to keep the strolling speeds at more than 1.8 mph to lessen the thievery. I also had to use long setback, especially in the deeper water to keep things productive. The fish did show a preference for any one particular harness color as they hit everything equally, as long as it was kept on the bottom with the night crawler intact. This was certainly a tough day to fish today, so hopefully the weather will stabilize for my upcoming days. I only have a few openings left for the remainder of the charter season and they area going fast, so if you want to get in on this fantastic fishery with me, please phone soon to make your reservations. We of course are also taking reservations for 2016 for those who want to plan ahead.

Capt. Mike Veine