Many times I read people sharing their disdain for Lake Trout. Yes not great fighters and big ones have consumption warnings. This year fishing has been slow and last trip had 4 LT under 6#. We had a cook out planned and one Coho was not going to feed us. I’ve grilled LT before and thought it was just fine. So today we grilled both Coho and LT. My buddy who has eaten my Cajun salmon for years said today he like the LT better just because it was different.

Here is my recipe for Cajun Butter. It’s great on all fish. As the recipe states it is amazing, considering the ingredients that it’s not hot unless you add more Cajun Butter at the table.

Enjoy.

Grey Beard

Cajun Hot Butter

3/4# butter

1 tbl paprika

3/4 tsp garlic powder

3/4 tsp onion powder

1 tsp cayenne powder

1 tsp black pepper

1 tsp white pepper

1/2 tsp oregano

1/2 tsp thyme

1/2 tsp salt

Skinless Fish filets cut to the width of your spatula for ease in turning.

Melt the butter and stir in the spices. Place in a 1 pint jar and shake occasionally to keep the spices suspended as it cools. Use as a baste for grilling fish or chicken. May store for weeks in refrigerator.

Place fish on a hot well oiled grill at a medium heat and baste with Cajun butter. Let fish cook until it appears to be almost done, then turn using a sharp metal spatula and baste on the second side and cook until done. Best if not over cooked so needs little time on the second side.

Add more butter to the fish at the table depending on how hot you like your food.

90% of the salmon we cook is with this never fail recipe. It’s surprising despite all the pepper, it’s not hot to the palate unless you add more Cajun butter at the table. This is a variation on Blackened Red Fish.

The butter also works great in a fry pan at low to med heat for frying fish. I cover the fish while cooking so it takes less time. Take care not to burn the butter.