Fishing Report Question

Hi,

I've read a couple reports for the New Buffalo - St. Joe area where the fisherman used the following in their report; "49's-54's on the west numbers" and "from the 56’s to the 47’s out front of New Buffalo". Are these headings? For example, does this mean 41*50'49" to 41*50'54" when looking at a nautical chart? Thanks for the help.

Contrary to the above agreements, the numbers mentioned are the "minutes" of the lat/log location. Your example indicates the "seconds" portion of the number. So using your example, the number represents 41° 49' 00" through 41° 54' 59". Actually, after looking at a chart, The 41° numbers will represent north latitude and the west longitude will be in the 86° range. From the chart, it looks like New Buffalo pier is about N41° 48' 00" and W086° 45' 00".

Contrary to the above agreements, the numbers mentioned are the "minutes" of the lat/log location. Your example indicates the "seconds" portion of the number. So using your example, the number represents 41° 49' 00" through 41° 54' 59". Actually, after looking at a chart, The 41° numbers will represent north latitude and the west longitude will be in the 86° range. From the chart, it looks like New Buffalo pier is about N41° 48' 00" and W086° 45' 00".

yes i only knew it refered to the lat and long. i knew someone would give a more detailed answer thanks playdough-find any trolls under the bridge yet ?