7-8-2014 Au Gres Walleye Tough Conditions

I fished with Joe S, Bob S, and Dean N, in tough conditions. We never saw another boat anywhere until we were pulling lines. We were limited to what we could do and where we could go. There were 3-4 footers to start and we took 14 eyes. The fish were coming faster at the end of our trip but we had to pull lines to get some second shift workers back on the clock @ 2 different GM plants. We fished 26-37 FOW. We couldn't run our usual spread so we started with 6 OR12 Offshore boards with flag kits and 2 down rods. Crawler harnesses and Bouncers. Later we were able to get an additional 2 boards out. I just met Joe and Bob a couple of weeks a go and Dean is a Korean War Vet I fished with in the WFW event. Good friends, Great Times, and some fish to boot. Our first 7 fish all went in the box without measuring. Then we must have threw back about 10 fish missing by a 1/4" or less. Our future is bright. Anyone else fish the bay this AM? :no: I love the time I can spend out there. I'm still trying to recoup the $11 the doggone fishing license set me back. Maybe if I take the Governor out fishing he'd pay for my license.

dsc00687_a.jpg

dsc00688_a.jpg

dsc00686_a.jpg

Nice job Frank! I prefer to put the waves at the stern and ride with em...buckin' into em isn't fun. As you mentioned, if you don't have the right crew, it can get ugly quick. Case n point, was fishing a few weeks ago with a buddy of mine. It was calm enough to go both up/down wind, but was evident, that not everyone has the "knack" for it. I turned over the helm, and less than one minute into it, buddy was doing a 180*.....take your hands of the wheel, or don't pay attention to the indicators I use and that big ol' wind sock will catch the wind and turn pretty abruptly.

I will NOT turn the helm over to anyone when I'm running uphill in those conditions. I know just when to turn before the wave hits the bow and that's what makes the difference. Auto Pilots react after the fact as do most people trying to dive into them. Anticipation is the key. It takes a lot of helm time to get it down. My crew was top notch. I told all three I wish I had met them all 5 or 6 years ago. Uphill with it's surges was by far our best troll. Constant slowing and going. Pulling lines and running and resetting wastes a lot of time but if it's necessary for the sake of boat control it has to be.