6/2/2014, Saginaw Bay, Au Gres, Fishing Report

It was a little breezy this morning with a southerly wind putting a nice "walleye chop" on the water. We ran a bit south from where we took our limits yesterday and trolled with the wind at 1.2 to 1.7 mph rolling with the waves. We had consistent action all morning and my four customers took their limits of some nice walleyes before noon, despite a late start. Most of the fish were 19 to 21 inches but we did take a few bigger ones for good measure too. The fish came mostly in doubles and triples today as they were clustered in pods all over our fishing area. The walleyes have been feeding on shiners as I had about 50 shiners left in my live well that they had barfed up. The shiners were two to three inches long. We caught all our fish today on a variety of spinner/crawler rigs trolled near the bottom. I didn't mark any suspended fish all morning so having lures up higher would have been a waste of time. No particular spinner pattern shined today as they hit everything I threw at them. I have a scheduled day off tomorrow, and it's a good thing too, because the weather is predicted to be very windy and stormy Tuesday anyway. I'll be hitting the water again on Wednesday with a three boat charter, which should be fun. After that, I have every day booked until June 21, which opened up after we got a cancellation. My July charters are starting to book up more and more. July has been the most consistently excellent fishing month for me on Saginaw Bay for several years in a row with limit catches on every trip.

Capt. Mike Veine

IMG_8676.JPG

Mike, GJ as always. It looks like we'll have another banner year. We'll have to get together one of these days. It's always a pleasure to visit with you.

I haven't seen you or your rig around yet this year Frank. Hopefully all is well. I was off the water for a couple weeks in mid-May when I got sick and then my wife got sick. I'm fully recovered, but Donna is still recovering from pneumonia which she likely got visiting me in that cesspool St. Mary's calls a hospital.

I haven't seen you or your rig around yet this year Frank. Hopefully all is well. I was off the water for a couple weeks in mid-May when I got sick and then my wife got sick. I'm fully recovered, but Donna is still recovering from pneumonia which she likely got visiting me in that cesspool St. Mary's calls a hospital.

I,m sorry to here of your problems and Donna's problems. I'll keep you both in my prayers. I like visiting with you on and off line.

My wife, Jeanice, had cataract surgery and is doing fine. I'll be turning up the heat on those toothy critters very soon. My shake down went well. I was over to the Holland Steel Mill and fished with some great guys from the West Side. Somethin Fishy, Dirty Dog, and SeaMac sure know how to roll out the welcome wagon. I had a great time but I'm into a two day recovery program to catch up on chores. Tomorrow Jeanice will have a followup appointment for her eye and possibly schedule her other eye for surgery. It all eats time but is a necessary distraction that is helping her tremendously.