Handheld radio

1mainiac

I got a Baofeng UV-82 handheld radio for Christmas OK I bought it for myself but hey guys we know we buy us the best gifts LOL. It is a dual band HT which is a nice survival radio since it can transmit on any UHF or VHF freg it can hear on. So first rule do not transmit it on illegal frequencies unless it is a actual emergency. I have mine currently Programed for all the local ham repeaters where I live as well as those in areas where I hunt and fish. It is also programed for all the Marine VHF channels for use on the boat. And the MURS channels the FRS channels the NOAA weather channels and the GMRS channels. I don't currently have a GMRS license but will likely get one but again in a emergency any channel can be used. This is a 50 dollar radio so don't expect high end results or features but it works pretty good so far and you can buy better antennas for it which will increase it's range. I am looking at a roll up J Pole that will fit in my shirt pocket. You will want to get a programing cable for it because it is much easier to program with a computer and you can clone several of them to have the same channels.

It also has a FM radio and a flashlight so like I said it is a pretty good choice as a survival radio and I may get a couple more for the wife and family to use. I downloaded the CHIRP software daily build to program it( free download ) and bought a 6.99 cable to hook it to the computer.

I got a Baofeng UV-82 handheld radio for Christmas OK I bought it for myself but hey guys we know we buy us the best gifts LOL. It is a dual band HT which is a nice survival radio since it can transmit on any UHF or VHF freg it can hear on. So first rule do not transmit it on illegal frequencies unless it is a actual emergency. I have mine currently Programed for all the local ham repeaters where I live as well as those in areas where I hunt and fish. It is also programed for all the Marine VHF channels for use on the boat. And the MURS channels the FRS channels the NOAA weather channels and the GMRS channels. I don't currently have a GMRS license but will likely get one but again in a emergency any channel can be used. This is a 50 dollar radio so don't expect high end results or features but it works pretty good so far and you can buy better antennas for it which will increase it's range. I am looking at a roll up J Pole that will fit in my shirt pocket. You will want to get a programing cable for it because it is much easier to program with a computer and you can clone several of them to have the same channels.

It also has a FM radio and a flashlight so like I said it is a pretty good choice as a survival radio and I may get a couple more for the wife and family to use. I downloaded the CHIRP software daily build to program it( free download ) and bought a 6.99 cable to hook it to the computer.

It sounds like it will do a lot for a small investment.

Yeah Frank it has a lot of potential it does require a bit of a learning curve. Esp since some of the features are a bit tough to understand and push the wrong menu button and it talks in Chinese LOL. However all the software and drivers are on the web for free and the programing cable is cheap. I read a hundred online reviews and everyone said the same thing it was hard to beat for the price. Oh yeah another feature I figured out is you can use it as a scanner and can program it to scan or skip channels with the software. So if you like to listen to the scanner you could add your fav scanner channels and program it to scan them. I still have over 50 empty channels in mine but I am not really into scanners so I don't see me using that feature.