Insight maps? for HDS units

coralee

Are insight maps worth the money on the new HDS-8 units? or are the base maps good enough? I do want to be able to pin point home in the dark or fog and also to be able to make good use of waypoints. I normally only fish Lake MI for Salmon.

Thanks

Base maps don't show much if anything, its nice to see the wreaks and some topography . I have an HDS5 with Insight built in. works ok , but I did buy a LakeMaster chip before Garmin took over. They both show about the same info just a little different on each one.

If you go with the base map you could pick out what you really want , either insight, or navionics, hotmaps ect.

Yeah a base map can get you home just follow your trail. BTW I had been looking at the HDS8 and changed my mind to a HDS 7 Touch , its wider than an 8 , has newer software , and no add ons to buy if you want structure scan, its built in. Just have to get the transducer.

Price wise not too much different, except for the add on structure scan unit for the HDS8.

• 1 month later...

I have in sight maps and i think it worth the money. With insight you also get depths of lakes. So it looks like a topo map. Easier to pin point where you want to be depth wise. Thats really the only advantage i found with it. But I still think its worth it. hope i was some help. Good luck.