out of state boat

needhelp

Getting a deal on a 17 foot alum boat that is out of state. Does anyone know the cost to title it in michigan. It is an old boat with no title. What do I need to get it legal in michigan and looking for a ballpark cost to determine if a good deal is going to turn into a headache

You should be able to just go to a Secretary of State (SOS) office. Without a title you may be able to just use the bill of sale but I would call the 1-888-767-6424 SOS number and ask. Normally the fee would be $5 for the title ($10 for an instant title), $42 for the 3 year boat registration, and $75 for a lifetime trailer license plate.

Boat Registration/Title info: http://www.michigan.gov/sos/0,1607,7-127-1585_15242-34638--,00.html

License/Title Fees: http://michigan.gov/sos/0,1607,7-127--75432--,00.html

Found this form on the Michigan SOS web site:

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/tr-205_16198_7.pdf

It can't be used in your situation since the boat is from out of state but on page two does say that in that case: either "an assigned ownership document" or "a surety bond must be purchased". Not a clue as to what either of those entail specifically, sorry. I think you'll need to call or visit the SOS office to find out what is needed specifically.

When I got my 14ft from my brother in KY it had not been registered in years he gave me a bill of sale. Went to SOS office no problem 10 bucks for title paid for registration as well for the trailer however you will need a certified scale weight so you have to take it and get it weighed. Most truck stops have scales you just pull on hit the button and they weigh you go in pay and you have a weight slip. The boat and gear does not need to be on the trailer. A weigh slip and bill of sale will get you all the paper work however you also need to pay taxes and they can use assumed values they have on file for the boat if they don't like the number on the bill of sale.

On the SOS web page referenced in my first reply it also says:

Watercraft Title - Requirements

All watercraft 20 feet and longer, and all watercraft with a permanently affixed engine, regardless of length, must be titled. Watercraft not required to be titled may be titled as an option.

So since it is less than 20' long, if the boat does not have a "permanently affixed engine", you don't actually need to title the boat.

Ryan the fact he does not need a title is true in MI however without a title someone with a out of state title could come back and claim the boat. For instance someone could sell you their neighbors boat with just a bill of sale and meet you at a truck stop to save you a long drive. You bring the boat home and register it then a few weeks later the owner reports it stolen and comes and takes it back.

i dont know how they do things in michigan but here in indiana we have to title the boat and trailer. we have to have a bill of sale for each one, and if they were titled in the other state we have to have the old title signed over to us. but if there is no title then the bill of sale is all we need. then we have to get the vin numbers checked by the police so they can do a stolen search on it. then we just take all this to our license brance and pay a regular title fee and boat registration fee and trailer plate fees and pay sales tax.

if the boat or trailer doesnt have a vin number we have to apply to the state for new vin numbers. they issue us a new vin number, we have to put the new numbers on the boat or trailer that didnt have numbers, then we have to get another police check to make sure we put the numbers on and they can read them. then we go to the license branch. its a bit of a hassle for us but it doesnt cost alot unless we paid alot for the boat and trailer. then we pay 7% sales tax. so good luck, it sounds like yours may be easier than what we have to do here.

sherman