Wood Stove

GLF

My wife and I picked up a wood stove to put in our basement. I hooked it all up and decided to try it out last night. I light a small fire to make sure everything would be OK. Well...smoke started coming out of the stove and filling the basement :eek: So, I opened a basement window to clear the smoke. After the smoke was cleared, I shut the basement window. Yep....smoke started coming out of the stove again. :angry2: I opened the basement window again, and the smoke stopped coming out of the stove. I left the basement window slightly open last night so the fire could burn out in the stove without filling the house with smoke.

Evidently our house is so air tight that we are getting a down draft from the pipe. This is probably why we get a little smoke in the house when we use the fire place. The fire place has a seperate fresh air vent.

When we built the house, I put in for all the permits. I even got a permit for a fire place and a wood stove. There is a fresh air vent installed, but it goes directly into the cold air return on the furnace.

I need to put another vent pipe(or what ever you call it), for make up air. What should I use for it? How big of a vent should I put in? Does it have to be a certain distance of the ground? Whats the code for it?