Long Line Setups

Hey you guys your waaay overcomplicating this thing. I had a thread on another board regarding this, so maybe this will help out. Break the water into thirds...top third, mid third, bottom third. If you are fishing the top third, or shallow, fish a 50, 75, 100, 150 32lb copper. Mid third (like 40-60 down) fish a 200, 250 or 300. If you are catching fish deep, throw out your 350, 400, 450. It does not matter one single bit to try and estimate the exact depth of your coppers. Just stuff the active strike box with as many legal lines as you can without getting tangled...that's the game. We fish all 32lb, we just like it better. We sell 50-50 on 32lb vs 45. Whoever said the 45 and 32lb fish almost the same, you are 100% correct. If you straight line troll, no turns, constant speed, you will see exactly that result. If you turn or let your buddy drive and dont watch the throttle, your rigs are all over the place on depth so why even worry about where you might think your rigs are fishing. If you are that particular, dont turn, dont touch the throttle, and 50 foot spacing on copper rigs will cover everything in the active strike box.

here are a couple of links on the copper setups. I think these were the ones you were talking about.

http://www.greatlakesfisherman.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25536

http://www.greatlakesfisherman.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25841

Hey you guys your waaay overcomplicating this thing. I had a thread on another board regarding this, so maybe this will help out. Break the water into thirds...top third, mid third, bottom third. If you are fishing the top third, or shallow, fish a 50, 75, 100, 150 32lb copper. Mid third (like 40-60 down) fish a 200, 250 or 300. If you are catching fish deep, throw out your 350, 400, 450. It does not matter one single bit to try and estimate the exact depth of your coppers. Just stuff the active strike box with as many legal lines as you can without getting tangled...that's the game. We fish all 32lb, we just like it better. We sell 50-50 on 32lb vs 45. Whoever said the 45 and 32lb fish almost the same, you are 100% correct. If you straight line troll, no turns, constant speed, you will see exactly that result. If you turn or let your buddy drive and dont watch the throttle, your rigs are all over the place on depth so why even worry about where you might think your rigs are fishing. If you are that particular, dont turn, dont touch the throttle, and 50 foot spacing on copper rigs will cover everything in the active strike box.

Good to see you posting again. I've really enjoyed your posts in the past.

I've always been a 45lb copper guy but I'm leaning towards trying a spool of the 32lb next time... Once my bulk leadcore is gone I'll probably get a 3000 ft spool of the 32lb bloodrun.

I've always been a 45lb copper guy but I'm leaning towards trying a spool of the 32lb next time... Once my bulk leadcore is gone I'll probably get a 3000 ft spool of the 32lb bloodrun.

The big thing is to fish with whatever you are most comfortable with, both work great! We like the 32lb as we feel it fishes just as deep as the 45lb in the top 100 feet, and it is much easier for our customers to pay out when we need to get lines back in the water fast. Smaller knots hang up less on line guides and overall more user friendly. We do have some 45's when we run 500-700 coppers..