How Does A Boat Get Sponsored?

Hey guys,

So I know a guy, who is not a charter, who has gained sponsorship from a few fishing tackle manufacturers as well as other products. He fishes just like the rest of us, normally out of Waukegan, which left me wondering how a normal joe gains sponsorship?

I came across a smaller tackle manufacturer near Michigan City who i thought would be perfect but he stated he already had a few guys to "test' and report on his products. I figure there has got to be smaller guys out there who are looking for someone to get their name out there and test their products, so I was wondering if any of you are "sponsored' or on a "pro staff" and how you go about doing so.

Thanks all.

Most smaller guys want to get their names out there. They're looking for people who fish a lot, and are very productive while doing it. Put together a resume. Include tournaments you've fished, and what places you have finished in. Include some factual numbers about your yearly fishing. Make sure you have information about yourself, that includes why your looking to promote this product. Most places don't want guys who just want free stuff, they want people who actually are going to use their products and help promote.

Many companies have rules to being a pro staffer. This means you have to do some things for them, whether its giving 1 or 2 seminars a year, setting up a booth at an outdoor store, or in some cases just tossing a big ole sticker on your boat.

Being sponsored isn't just a way of getting free stuff, its a marketing tool for companies.

I hope this helps! Goodluck to you!!! :)

Most smaller guys want to get their names out there. They're looking for people who fish a lot, and are very productive while doing it. Put together a resume. Include tournaments you've fished, and what places you have finished in. Include some factual numbers about your yearly fishing. Make sure you have information about yourself, that includes why your looking to promote this product. Most places don't want guys who just want free stuff, they want people who actually are going to use their products and help promote.

Many companies have rules to being a pro staffer. This means you have to do some things for them, whether its giving 1 or 2 seminars a year, setting up a booth at an outdoor store, or in some cases just tossing a big ole sticker on your boat.

Being sponsored isn't just a way of getting free stuff, its a marketing tool for companies.

I hope this helps! Goodluck to you!!! :)

That about sums it up perfect. You do have to produce and finish consistently high in tourneys to get their attention. You remember the guys who are consistently in the top 5 of the tournaments.

Yupp i have learned alot about this whole thing becoming a first mate and doing as much for my bosses pro staff as possible. We do 7 sport shows a year some for the charter business and some to work the company's booth. Its all about who you know not what you know. Its ALOT of work what we do in the off season, craig and I run 5 hot boards at tackle stores. But you know what I LOVE every minute of doing it, talking to people meeting the owners its all great!

I would have to agree with what has been said . The biggest turn off is the guys that say they will help push your name just to get a hand full of free stuff. I have met alot of great people out there and I have handed out a lot of spoons and flies ,do i get replies back from them ??? well it's 50/50 but the handful that do post and send photos ,really do a service for me by just using my name and the promoting the products that we sell. A lot of the time I just send things out the just to be tested ,colors patterns and so on , I would love to fish 24/7 but I can't and I know the guys out there put there best effort out there for me.

luremaker

I hear exactly what you are saying luremaker.

I tie my own trolling flies and am very biased on using them as opposed to someone elses creation. That being said, I do support certain companies that produce some awesome materials.

For me it's not just about free stuff but rather spreading the word about a company that I believe in and support. Obviously, if you throw their name up on your boat or truck you better be able to stand by their product. also providing feedback on a product is important as well. If a company creates a lure that doesn't seem to catch fish there's really know reason to keep it on the shelf.

I'm beginning to work with one company now that I have purchased items from, believe in the products they sell, love the cutomer service I receive and their prices are very fair based on the market. I will gladly throw thier logo on my boat and tell everyone who is looking for similar products about them. That's how I see it.

I may have forgotten to mention the, "It's also about who you know" factor. lol.

Very true. I am not a "big" tournament fisherman. I used to fish a lot of smaller northern tourneys and one TT event a year until i decided to have a munchkin!! That should start to change now that she is getting older now and have had plenty of time to complete my honey-do lists! I have had pretty consistent results in the tournaments i have fished and have managed to win a couple smaller tourneys and just wasn't afraid to put a resume together, however small it may have been, and ask some of the guys. I ended up with help from Big Jon, Stinger, Protroll and "KNEW" someone with BRP and ended up getting a TON of help from Evinrude and i think i am the only one on the evinrude team that doesn't make six digits a year fishing:grin: