Spring Coho Question..Around winthrop Harbor, IL

Ok guys....I hope all my questions don't turn you guys off and maybe actually help others out who might refrain from asking for one reason or the other.

To me, researching or asking questions from those in the know is part of becoming a better fisherman and I thank you all for assisting me.

So I've heard a lot about the spring coho bite and how seemingly you can catch fish after fish SO simply but I have a feeling it might not be THAT easy.

Well I know that fishing the southern end of the lake is slightly different than fishing around the North Point area but here's what is on my mind already:

Last year I saw a lot of boats fishing the cove around Waukegan. Rocks, some protection from wind and warmer water.....makes sense. Now move on to the North Point area...what am I looking for when seeking out coho? I know guys most often fish the upper water columns, and I'm assuming most stay closer to shore (warmer water), but we've seen what assuming has done to me in the past so I'm asking now before I'm trolling around like an idiot.

I mean summer fishing can take place anywhere from 30 feet to 300 feet but spring coho? I'm figuring no point in running way out deep when the fish normally won't be there.

Again, I've read the books that say look for the warmest water, stay up high in the water column but we all know there are days out on the water when we can throw the books away. I just need a bit of guidance when it come to clearing the breakwall as to what I'm actually looking for when spring coho fishing.

Thanks again guys. I really appreciate it.

one of the most frustrating things about coho fishing in our area is they can be there one day and gone the next!

spring cohos usually travel in much larger "schools" which helps make them seem so easy to catch. once you are on them and can stay on them, they are not nearly as finicky as kings.

if the fish are not around the shore or structure, the next thing to look for is bait fish or temp breaks (as little as 1-5 degrees) on the surface. that is where the satellite temp maps really come in handy. there have been times that we have had to travel 5-10 miles to find big schools of coho out of racine by the beginning of june. as they travel north, they scatter more and more.

Ok guys....I hope all my questions don't turn you guys off and maybe actually help others out who might refrain from asking for one reason or the other.

To me, researching or asking questions from those in the know is part of becoming a better fisherman and I thank you all for assisting me.

So I've heard a lot about the spring coho bite and how seemingly you can catch fish after fish SO simply but I have a feeling it might not be THAT easy.

Well I know that fishing the southern end of the lake is slightly different than fishing around the North Point area but here's what is on my mind already:

Last year I saw a lot of boats fishing the cove around Waukegan. Rocks, some protection from wind and warmer water.....makes sense. Now move on to the North Point area...what am I looking for when seeking out coho? I know guys most often fish the upper water columns, and I'm assuming most stay closer to shore (warmer water), but we've seen what assuming has done to me in the past so I'm asking now before I'm trolling around like an idiot.

I mean summer fishing can take place anywhere from 30 feet to 300 feet but spring coho? I'm figuring no point in running way out deep when the fish normally won't be there.

Again, I've read the books that say look for the warmest water, stay up high in the water column but we all know there are days out on the water when we can throw the books away. I just need a bit of guidance when it come to clearing the breakwall as to what I'm actually looking for when spring coho fishing.

Thanks again guys. I really appreciate it.

The biggest thing I can come up with is the winds at that time of year, Most of them are from the east , northeast. which would stack up your warm water down near Waukegon. Do you remember this summer when we had temps in the 50's near shore and out 5-10 miles it was 60-68'. The wind and currents have alot to due with where the warm and cold water is. Our first Coho's came out in 125FOW, 30 feet down. In early May.

The most important part is finding the forage fish . Won't matter what temp you have , if you have no food for the big guys they won't hang around.

I can only tell you what I have learned, so lets see if someone has more to put in here.

My program for catching cohos is a little different than Josh or Jims. I fish Racine and Kenosha so this will work for you out of Winthrop. It's pretty simple and you should get your limit just about every trip. First start off in a depth you know that you aren't going to over shoot the fish and then just troll East till you got your limit. Usually I start in about 100 and then troll till I hit fish. I won't turn the boat North or South unless I get a triple or quad. I fish alot deeper than most but like to catch a mixed bag. I also don't run the 00 dodgers until I'm on a big school. Spin doctors and B&B's let you go about 2mph and cover water alot faster. I never worry about finding bait, because if I find bait I should have found the fish first. Keep in mind that if guys are catching fish in Waukegan and nobody is getting them out of Winthrop yet it's not that they aren't there yet, it's probably because people aren't fishing deep enough. I've gone out of Racine many times when nobody was getting them yet and pounded the cohos out in 200-300 feet. Another thing about fishing deep is you will catch them alot deeper also. not just on the surface. Run some standard blue dolphins on the riggers and you will get cohos, kings, and steelhead. Hope this helps, but I could probably write 5 pages about what to do.

I hear ya about writing 5 pages of what to do!

I certainly agree with russ that many people do not travel far enough sometimes. early in the year is when cohos are supposed to be close to shore and many people get stuck in their usual "spring routine." but there are also times when you can limit in a few hours right in front of the harbor or by the reef too. this is where networking really is a big help.

I also agree about trolling faster to cover more water. I very rarely have my depth raider slower then 2.5 mph and my gps is usually around 3 knots. I am one of the few that do not ever run 00 dodgers. I run all Action Flashers, they are very speed tolerant. They have a similar shape to a B&B.

For me most of the fun and adrenaline rush comes from the "hunt" to find fish.

I hear ya about writing 5 pages of what to do!

I certainly agree with russ that many people do not travel far enough sometimes. early in the year is when cohos are supposed to be close to shore and many people get stuck in their usual "spring routine." but there are also times when you can limit in a few hours right in front of the harbor or by the reef too. this is where networking really is a big help.

I also agree about trolling faster to cover more water. I very rarely have my depth raider slower then 2.5 mph and my gps is usually around 3 knots. I am one of the few that do not ever run 00 dodgers. I run all Action Flashers, they are very speed tolerant. They have a similar shape to a B&B.

For me most of the fun and adrenaline rush comes from the "hunt" to find fish.

Josh what is a action flasher and shaped B&B?

Pay very close attention to Josh and Russ they have been doing this much longer than I. Networking is most likely your best tool if you are a newbie like I am, Only 1 season under my belt . and can wait for season 2.

you are correct, the red and orange are the go to colors for coho. I actually run a mix of the six inch and nine inch. taking a tip from another captain, i was running six inch on one side and nine's on the other all with coho flys. allows for a variety of action in turns.

the action is similar to what you get with any other attractor. but like the others, they have their own unique signature in the water. i would say it is more similar to a spin doctor then a dodger.