GPS speed vs Ball speed

Great Lakes Angler just had a nice write up on this subject in last months issue. It all depends on underwater currents. And water currents vary by depth, direction you are trolling in, wind direction. The only way you would know for sure is like the article said, by using a speed at the ball sensor, like a sub-troll. The article talked about having 2 of them and running on ball at one depth and another ball at a different depth. You have to adjust boat speed and the angles you are trolling at to get the lures to run true to each other without much affect from current. It was a really interesting read, but at over 400 dollars for the sub-trolls, I'll just keep guessing. I keep a log on the boat when we catch fish. Everything from boat speed, time of day, depth, wind direction, direction trolling, lure used everything. It helps, and paper is a lot less expensive.

I will take both sides here first off you can fish just fine without one I seldom use mine. Second I more than doubled my catch rate the first year I had mine and nearly doubled it again the second year. Why because it helped me read the water and what is happening below the boat much better. So you might ask why I don't use it as much well I learned a lot while using it and I can read my gear much better because of it. Secondly after dropping one probe on the lake bottom roughly a 300 dollar boo boo I don't risk losing a second one as much. However there are times it is worth it's weight in gold we are approaching those times right now as we will be getting more East winds which will roll the water over more often causeing various currents and temp breaks to show up and then leave. Ask Mike GLF about a tourney we were in last summer we both knew the water had turned over and it was a bit foggy in the early morning When the fog lifted we were only a few hundred yards apart and both on some great fishing. Most of the other boats had ran to where the fish were the day before. The other boats all pretty much caught fish however we did not have to run several miles to do it. Lots of guys will tell you temp is not that important because Salmon usually feed out of their prefered temp and that is correct. However find a temp break that puts their prefered temp close to the bait and they will be there all day long. FInd them way out of temp in the morning feeding and the min they stop eating they are headed for cold water. So knowing where the closest cold water is will help you find them.