Fishlander downrigger

I had a downrigger that is out of comission. I was setting a line and it looked like it free spooled for a second and tangled. Once i got the tangled resolved whenever I would try and raise the rigger it seem like it was really under pressure and would eventually pop the fuse button on the rigger. Any suggestions on how to correct this? I could raise and lower about 20 ft at a time after resetting the button. I believe it is a newer model based off of the Big Jon's.

It sounds to me like you need to remove the wheel and see what is stuck or damaged. Big Jon has most parts to fix them and if I looked at it I bet I could fix it. I would assume the cable went between the spool and the frame there is ,was a shim there it has to be greased now and then if damaged or missing the wheel will bind against the case when you try to move it. Loosen the clutch and see if the motor spins freely with no shaft wobble. If the shaft is straight and spins with the clutch released take the clutch off remove the drive pin and pull the wheel there should be a spacer shim between the wheel and the housing that is greased. if it is damaged missing or dry it will cause the wheel to bind which would trip the breaker.

• 5 weeks later...

after taking apart the downrigger and keeping an eye on it in use I found my weight retriever was actually grabbing the line causing the spool to lose tension and free spool. I have fixed this with a new retriever.

Now when I drop the ball down it seems to really go down faster than my other rigger, almost to fast ? Any Ideas..

Thanks!

Troy