Software Upgrade

vBulletin has released a new version of software, vb3.6.0. This will require some down time on the site for me to upgrade the software. I have not decided when I will do the upgrade. Maybe Friday night.

I am waiting on an updated version of the links software. Once I have the updated version of the links software, I will upgrade all of the softwares.

Nothing will be lost during the upgrade.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm getting red x's for icons. This hasn't always been this way and I don't know if it's on my end or not. Any suggestions?

The red "X"'s are broken links for images from other sites or for links from the gallery that have been deleted.

I will be upgrading the software this weekend.

Still having problems and I only run into on this site. I did some searching to check my end and the following information.

If you get a red x like this: , that's the browser's indication that it tried to download a picture, but was unable to. If instead you get this little icon: that's what the browser uses to indicate that it's still downloading the picture, hasn't gotten around to trying (because it's busy download other items on the page) or at least hasn't yet given up. Be patient, and you'll soon either see the image, or the red x.

What if ALL you get is red X's for all pictures on all sites?

Most browsers allow you to turn off downloading pictures completely, as a way to download only the text of a website faster. The first step would be to check to make sure that's configured properly. In Internet Explorer, that's in Tools, Internet Options, Advanced, and then in the Multimedia section of the list, there's an item Show Pictures.

If that's set properly to show pictures, then you might check to see if you have any ad-blocking or content filtering software installed. Sometimes they can erroneously start blocking everything that isn't text.

If you're seeing red X's on only some sites, it's more typically either a problem downloading or a web site design issue.

A common place for examples of both is eBay.

I've seen eBay simply be too overloaded to reliably deliver it's pages, and typically what happens is that images will fail. This can happen on other sites as well, and the thing to do is simply try again later.

eBay also lets you host photos of your auction items elsewhere, and sometimes people just get it wrong. They enter the location or name of their picture incorrectly, and hence the picture simply can't work. This also happens frequently on discussion boards where people try to post links to pictures that end up being incorrect.

Another common mistake is for a website to reference a picture by a path local to the designer's machine, say "c:\pictures\image.jpg", rather than via a proper URL, such as "http://example.com/image.jpg". To the designer it works, because there is a "c:\pictures\image.jpg" that their browser picks up when displaying the page for them. To the rest of us, it's another red X.

The main logo is a red x and all photos int hte gallery are x's. I've done all I think I can do on my end unless you have another idea. Is anyone else having this problem?

Thanks for the help.

The main logo is a red x and all photos int hte gallery are x's. I've done all I think I can do on my end unless you have another idea.

Thats what I needed to know.

I logged in as a registered user and could view everything without any red "X" 's. I can not duplicate the issue.

How long have you had this problem? Have you tried to visit the site from another computer? What are you using for an internet browser? Have you deleted your temporary internet files yet? Do you have a pop up blocker on? Firewall?