Little Bay de Noc-August 12th, 2010

August 12th...bite getting better!!!!

dscf3178_edit_2.jpg

Today's trip with Al and his son Micah from Kingsford, Michigan started out with lots of action, however we were losing fish left and right and catching mostly smaller fish. The weather was really strange this morning for a while, we had a strong west wind kick up, and during that time the bite was really tough, at least for us it was. After the west wind settled down, it got calm, and we headed to a different location. I only went to this deeper water location because I remembered a trip a couple of years ago with the same kind of weather conditions (extremely hot and flat calm) and we did quite well. I guess it pays off once in a while to fish "memories" because as soon as we got all our lines in...we started catching fish. A lot of the fish were suspended in the deep water, so I wasn't real worried about being able to mark them on my Lowrance. Sometimes you just have to fish spots and not worry about marking fish. The fish would come in flurries, we'd go for a few minutes with nothing...then all of a sudden have three fish on at once. It was like that for the better part of two hours. All of our fish were caught using harnesses trolled behind bottom bouncers at .9 to 1 mph. The best two colors by far were I-51 and I-62. I don't know how many short fish we released today, but it was lots. We also lost several nice fish at the boatside or while reeling them in. We also released a nice channel cat that might have gone 6 lbs. or so. We tried some vertical jigging the last hour of the trip, but the fish really shut off about 2 p.m.. Here's a picture of today's catch, good luck from all of us in the Bay de Noc area. Summer is going fast...but we still have some openings for charters this month for you fair weather fishermen!