While the wives we're attending a show in Traverse City last week, my friend and I decided to tag along and bring my boat with us. Before leaving, I looked for port information on the web like everyone else. I found a tackle shop in Frankfort that had been posting some well written fishing reports. I printed out the cover sheet to have their phone number and address. Not having ever fished out of that port, its good to talk to the local experts. What a find! The Tackle Box was the name of the bait shop and its right across the street from the public access. BTW - The public ramp also sported four stainless steel fish cleaning stations with oak planks and shower hoses and the ramp fee was $5 bucks. The lady behind the counter spent about 15 mintues showing us what was hot for the last couple of days and brought out maps and marked on them as to where to fish. She told us to monitor channel 10, that's where everyone talks including the charters. Unbelieveable! The radio was non stop chatter on; where, what depth, color etc... Get this. Guys we're even asking if a boat was running lead core before they made a turn!! Nothing compared to my home port of St. Joe, where no one talks or offers information. And the only time you know someone is running lead core is when their flipping you off or waving their arms. Needless to say, the trip was great. We brought a load of quality three and four year old kings. Two weeks ago there was a 32 pound king caught and last weekend while we were there a guy boated an 18 pound brown. The bite was early, in 175 fow between 75 - 110 down north of the pier near Point Betsie. Every lure I bought from the Takle Box put fish in the cooler. Mostly Hoochies, Dodgers and fly's. I'm definetly going back!

I wish you said something on here that you was going up there. I know everything about Frankfort and thats my favorite port to fish from. Where I usally stay at is at the Betsie River Campground. They have really nice cabins that you can sleep in. The takle box is great place to for alot of info on fishing there also. I am going to be up there the weekend of the 17th of August and I can't wait. So how do you like how fast it gets deep there. Man you dont even have to go 2 miles and your in 300ft of water. So where did you get the fish at? The Herring hole or the point. Well glad you had a great time there.

Here is some picture of Frankfort

frankfort.jpg

Herring Hole

herringhole.jpg

We ran straight out till we hit 150 fow, then turned north and trolled till we came to the 'perch like' pack of boats off the point. I'm still amazed at the radio chatter between boats about who's catching what and especially the warnings and questions about who's running lead core and how far back they are. Over the course of two days all the chatter was polite and helpfull. Why can't it be like that around St. Joe. I just don't understand. Maybe this could be a good question thread somewhere.

I almost forgot. We stayed at the Super 8 motel across from the east bay. When we came back from Frankfort Friday afternoon, we decided to cruise around the bay. Theres a public launch on the west side of the bay. We we're running at barely planning speed heading out into the bay. Within about 500 yards of the ramp my Eagle 620c couldn't keep up with the drop off. I had to stop and let it catch up. We were sitting in 450 fow! We cruised up the west side till we hit the point, went across and came down the east side. The bottom structure was like running ove rthe top of a dirt bike track. Never fished it but limits of trout we're coming out daily.

We fished out of Frankfort the last couple of days with some really nice kings (one 23 and a couple of 20's) and a bonus LT that ended up on the plus side of 20 pounds. Temp is pushed way down but the fish were still biting on the deep riggers. Spin doctors and flies took most of the fish. Glad to hear that everyone is doing well up here. The launch will really start getting busy so if you go in the morning, get up a little earlier or you'll be waiting for a while, even with four docks. Good fishing to all.