We boated three Walleye, lost a couple, caught a Large Mouth Bass, a Small Mouth Bass, a couple of big Cats, some sheephead and snagged a Carp. There was plenty of action but not enough Walleye's.

Fishing out of the Standish area we tried 10-12 FOW around the weeds, 13-15 FOW above the weeds and 17-20 FOW around a lot of marks that weren't hungry. In 25 FOW out by the Spark Plug we snagged a Carp with a Mag Tot.

It seems to me that the weeds should be taller than they are. I've got to wonder if the dingy water that seems to prevalent is hindering the growth of the weeds. Last year at this time the weeds were easy to see at the top and the water was a lot clearer.

Can anyone out there enlighten me ?

Captain Russ

I think its a case of the walleye not being there. They've seemed to have moved north about a month earlier than normal. I don't know much about the area, but that's definitely the reason for the lower numbers around au gres

The Dog Days of Summer are upon us. The fishing is not as good as it was a month ago but good quantities of walleye are still in the bay.

Personally I haven't run a mag tot since the mid 80s. I run some 1/4 oz tots but not very often. Look shallow and deep, and when you find them give them something decent to eat.

Just another point. The Summers of 08 and 09 were abnormally cool. The bay stayed a lot cooler and we stayed on fish all over the bay the whole Summer. A lot of fish were taken out of the system as a result of this. This Summer is more the norm. The temps in mid to late July warm the waters and the fish seek comfort like you and I do. Everyone seems to judge the bay by the last two abnormal years. Gitter Done May through June and again in the Fall. You can still do well but you have to pay your dues and put your time in. JMHO.:)

I agree, you gotta go to the weeds where theres more oxygen and food or you gotta go out deep. Lots of fish in the bay you jsut gotta get where they are and work em. This time of year isnt the point and click fishing the earlier part of the year is.