May 28th, 2010 Little Bay de Noc

<a  href=%7Boption%7Dhttp://www.greatlakesfisherman.com/gallery/files/2/3/2/8/dscf3100_edit_1.jpg' alt='dscf3100_edit_1.jpg'>

Today's trip was with Dave Larkin from neighboring Wisconsin. We started out at the north end trolling harnesses along a weedline that's been very good to me this year. Trolling with planer-boards was new to Dave and he quickly got the hang of it. We caught several throwbacks in the weeds, but no keepers. Pretty much all the fish were coming on purple colored blades. The water temperature had dropped to 58 due to the north winds, and I quickly realized we weren't probably going to do much in that spot. We tried several different locations, tried trolling, tried drifting, caught fish...but all small ones. It was almost 11:30 and our half day trip was getting close to being over. We were getting pretty discouraged when we decided to get out the jigging rods and work some breaklines. I'm glad we did...in the next 45 minutes we had 8 keepers, several more throwbacks, two sheepshead, a carp and a pike. We were pitching 1/4 oz. jigs tipped with crawler halves. What was going to be a horrible half-day trip turned out decent after all. It just shows you that you have to be very versatile out here to be consistent (and sometimes being lucky doesn't hurt either). Here's a picture of today's catch, good luck from all of us in the Bay de Noc area. Have a fun and safe Memorial Day weekend.