Houghton Lake Help

I will be fishing for the first time on Houghton Lake in the third week of June. Where is the best location for trolling for walleyes and pike, what type of hardware and fishing techniques work best, and what type of rod/reel combos will work most favorably for this?

My son uses standard spinning gear and trolls harnesses just off the weeds near the N shore. Casting Eire Dearies or jigs with crawlers or twisters will also work. Mephs Spinners, Dare Devils, or similiar baits work well also. You may just get a rude Northern trying to beat a walleye to the bait.:) Look for all the pontoons early and late in the day.:)

Leeches are productive on Houugton also drifting around the weed beds. Otherwise any standard walleye technique is worth a shot. I'm not sure what the situation is up there with the weeds this year, I heard they nuked them again.

Would this be drifting/trolling right along the weed lines? How deep of water do you fish for walleyes during June? When using harnesses, do you use bottom bouncers? I've never fished for walleye before, so any information is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

You can use bouncers, rubber core, snap weights, inline weights, to get the harnesses down. A couple of in-line planer boards would help. Houghton Lake is very shallow. You will likely be fishing in 12 FOW or less. Your best bet is to go with a local to shorten the learning curve. A local bait shop could also help you.:) One ounce weights or less should be plenty for there.

Thanks for the help!:) Just a few more questions.

Whens the best time to fish for walleye here? Also, how is the bass fishing here, and what are the best baits to use for them? Sorry about all the questions, but I've heard from a friend that the fishing here for the past couple years has not been good, but after reading some reports, they claim the opposite????

• 4 weeks later...