Fish Identification

Saw this somewhere else and thought that I'd share. I know GLF isn't the only one who has trouble telling the difference between chinook and coho. Some of us that are new to Great Lakes fishing struggle with it.

The easiest way I know of determining coho vs king is to compress the anal fin. If the front tip of the anal fin (when compressed) is more than half the entire length of the anal fin - you have a coho. Less then half the length - you have a king. This is the method all the DNR creel census wokers are taught to use here on Lake Superior.

All black mouth = king

black mouth grey gums = coho

I think easiest for me is the uniform size and distribution of spots on the tail of the king. Coho have few if any on the lower part of the tail. Color, number of ridges in the anal fin and mouth color are also helpful but fastest is the tail

And don't forget to check the mouth on small steelies, it will be all cotton white, many confuse them with coho or vice versa.

http://www.great-lakes.org/fishid.html

Hope these help.

Very simple,

A king has alot of spots on the tail.

A coho has no spots on the tail and the scales fall off alot.

Do I need to take you out fishing again Nike and show you.:D

But you have to catch the fish first Nike and not let them go like you did last Saturday.:D

Remember how the mighty caznik faught that fish that he caught to show you guys how to do it.:D

Nike,

Here is a better picture of Jungle Jim with a very nice KING. Now do you see the spots it has on the tail. There is alot.

07-16-06g.JPG

Now here is a very nice coho that Jungle Jim caught. You see the tail, it has no spots. Also the scales looks like they was coming off alot.

07-16-06h.JPG

Hope this helps you out buddy,

Caznik

PS: Now if you don't know what a farmer fisherman is. He is standing to the left of the picture here.:D :D :D

MVC-004F_963305.JPG