UP 2 tags?

steeliebob

I was recently at a sportsmans club meeting and the numbers are out on the double license in the UP. Up here you have to shoot a buck with 4 points on one side if you have the double tag during firearm season. According to the surveys taken only about 1 in 50 hunters filled both tags. I do not buy both tags instead I opt for a doe tag and hunt downstate, so I don't know all of the rules nor do I care. I do know once you shoot a buck on the single tag you are done, period no more hunting. I am at odds with low deer numbers up here and rule changes with the DNR. I don't believe that shooting bigger bucks will have an impact on quality deer management if there are no deer to manage. I know of a few very good hunters who shot nice bucks this year. I also know of some very good deer hunters who have given up on Michigan deer hunting. I think that if the DNR is going to impose rule changes they need to manage the deer a little better so there is a little more quantity then they can worry about quality.