Autopilot question

Yoda

We need to replace our Raypilot 65 system Autopilot(Computer went bad) and Ramarine says it unfixable. We have been looking at the Garmin GHP 10, Simrad 12's and 14's and Raymarine X-5 and X10 Core packs with the st6002 control head. Our biggest question is, We already have The pump to run the piston to stear the boat, and Raymarine says that the "X" core pks above will run the pump, Will the Garmin or Simrad core pks run the same pump also ?

What Autopilots are you guys running and how do you like them ?

I read somewhere that maybe Raymarine and Simrad might be in a little trouble, anybody else head this ?

We use the autopilot for mainly strait line trolling 1.2 to 3.5 SOG. and strait line running, jump the boat up on plain, point it in the direction we want to go and hit the button.. any help would be great... John

i have the simrad 14 and love it, holds very well in all sea conditions. I dont know if you can buy the system without the pump though. i dont have any experience with any of the other autopilot systems.

I have also heard rumors about raymarine possible financial trouble. hard to believe though since they seem to be one of the premier electronics manufacturer.

when i thought i had a computer problem with my simrad autopilot i ran across this site with lots of parts for older autopilot systems. You may want to check with them to see if they have a computer that my work with your current raypilot.

http://www.marine-plus.com/classifieds/electronics.html

• 2 weeks later...

I have the x-10 core pack with the st-8002 head unit, this is the best money I have spent yet, I purchased online in febuary 2009 for $1800 from a Marina in florida. The only thing I did different is I replaced the original Hydraulic hose to a higher PSI burst rate hose beacuse I exstended my rutters.

Thanks Rob

I've been looking at the X-10 core pack with a ST70 control head I think I can get those 2 things for about $1500 righ now, best part is I can use the pump I have in the boat. My only issue is it sounds like Raymarine might be going under.

One last thing Rob Are you running I/O's or I/B's ? Reason I'm asking is With the X-10 core pack, do you still need the rudder referance control ? I'd like to do away with mine if at all possible..