August Water Temps???????????????????

Looking for warmer water on the Saginaw Bay in August. WTH!!!! The warmest water we could find around AuGres was 67. Some of the surface temps were only 63. We only took 5 walleye 4-1/2# on down. None of the fish needed measuring. We had to slow it down for lethargic fish with lock jaw. I'll try it again tomorrow, but I may start concentrating on the perch soon. We had another fantastic year whackin walleye. The river fishing should keep picking up. The shad will be running the rivers in about a month, and the eyes will be in hot pursuit. I'm waaaaaaaaaay behind on the honey do list, but my honey keeps cutting me slack.:D

With the water temps taking an early dive this year Frank, you may have to move your timetable up some. As far as I can tell the temps are already some 6 to 8 degrees colder and ahead of themselves from last year. The temps are of course only a part of the fall river run equation. The colder bay temps are what starts first the shad, then the shiners, chubs, and perch migrations closer to the rivers mouths. And like you said, in turn, attract the walleyes behind them. The final piece to the puzzle that usually starts the full fall migration into the rivers, is a frost or two and any heavy fall rains we get. Those also may come early this year. Looks like another great ice fishing season ahead. With my ankle and shoulder fully healed now, expect both a few more river and ice reports this season from me.:grin: