Another one bites the pier

EdB

http://www.ludingtondailynews.com/news.php?story_id=45494

Kevin Braciszeski

Daily News Staff Writer

Thursday, August 13, 2009

Three men went from boating on Lake Michigan to the hospital after the 17-foot boat they were on crashed into Ludington’s south breakwater Wednesday night.

The accident occurred shortly after 10 p.m. and injured the boat’s owner, Christopher Foster, 48, of Custer, and passengers Russell Valentine, 52, of Pinckney, and Randy Culver, 51 of Hamburg.

Foster and Culver were treated at Memorial Medical Center and released, but Valentine was treated and then transferred to Mercy Health Partners in Muskegon. He was listed in fair condition this morning.

The Mason County Sheriff’s Office reported Foster told police he did not see the pierhead until it was too late. Police also said there was alcohol on the 17-foot Skillcraft, but said alcohol was not a factor in the accident.

Dustin McClelland, boatswain’s mate second class at the U.S. Coast Guard station in Ludington, said the accident occurred about 10:10 p.m. — just after the Coast Guard towed another boat in to the Loomis Street boat launch.

“We were already in Loomis Street when we got the call,†McClelland said. “They were trying to come in under their own power.

We put them in a side tow and brought them in and noticed they needed medical attention,†he said, adding that the boat hit the pier “pretty hard†and the windshield was knocked off and the steering wheel was bent.

The sheriff’s office reported the accident is under investigation.

Assisting the sheriff’s office and Coast Guard Wednesday were the Ludington Police Department and Life EMS.

Wednesday was the second time a boat hit a Ludington breakwater this summer. The first occurred July 24 when a 17-and-a-half-foot Tracker Targa rammed the north breakwater and became stuck on the rocks.

[email protected]

843-1122 x346

way to many people dont use gps properly, I dont know if this was the case here? If you have gps set waypoint outside breakwall if you are not famuliar with area! Most breakwall accidents driver says"Icould see channel i dont know what happened?" When standing or in a high boat you can see over breakwall and here anyway most colisions are at a fast speed driver just "saw past breakwall" and hit it at high speed. I cant count how many times boats enter channel under full power then slow once inside? I for one would be devastated if i entered at high speed and hit a small boat and injured someone!! Anyway i was at light house with girlfriend last night watching sunset and havin a few beers when this occured , just stupidity,plain n simple, it was clear and other boats where coming in harbor and they just never slowed and then hit it. Too bad coast guard cant issue stupidity tickets? And no , im far from perfect, but i get angry at others stupidity when they wrecklessly endanger themself or others.